OCD Strikes Again. 90 Degree Elbow for Stock Mechanical Fuel Pump…

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
My memory was wrong on the el camino...this is what i installed and clocked as neededView attachment 104308
This is what I have been talking about. I'm pretty sure this pump has 1/4" NPT threads. You should be able to find a 90 that has 1/4 male NPT threads to a female inverted flare. I think Carter also made a high performance pump like this with 3/8 female NPT threads.
Look at a Rock auto M3120 $35, says fits 283, 327 & 409
Jeff

Last edited:

tcb-1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Well fellas. After staring at it for another hour or so - yes I literally stared at it - I figured out how to make the turn under the fuel pump. I basically had to sacrifice a few inches of tubing so I could get a proper bend. So now I know how to at least get from the pump to the top of the valve cover with a factory look.

Now the thing is from the line to carb. Do I like this setup have pictured? Will there be too much vibration? I need to keep the filter out a bit from the electric choke wiring.

Oh well. May buy some more tubing and try a few other configurations, but for now I suppose this will work, and look sort of stock-ish.

Attachments

• 66DD275F-74BC-4BA2-B30E-37F74AF206E9.jpeg
    66DD275F-74BC-4BA2-B30E-37F74AF206E9.jpeg
    94.2 KB · Views: 36

tcb-1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
This tucks it in under choke nice and sturdy. Of course you will have to get in further in next to intake as factory did .
I tried that Edelbrock kit, matter of fact it was in there before I went this direction. The problem was it ended a half inch from where the heater hose outlet on the manifold was. I mean, pointing right at it.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I bent all these lines for the 409 , it had original carb which has rear inlet . I just tucked in next to head with a 40 micron rock filter that is replaceable. I will get 327 picture also since 409 heater hose route Is different. Forgot I had this 327 picture , but I routed heaterhose different than you. I just went over top with line. Ok i just took picture how i changed hose routing. Notice i have two filters ,lower i may eliminate since they are both 40 microns . I will have all hard line when i removed lower filter.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    83 KB · Views: 35
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    70.8 KB · Views: 36
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    97.6 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20220302_100612220.jpg
    IMG_20220302_100612220.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I think if Doug could run the line along the block head surface then up after going under the heater hose my be a cleaner look.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I just ordered right angle hose fitting to intake. Will put hose lower and more to front exit from engine. Will be new one piece hard fuel line from pump to edelbrock filter eliminating lower filter ,not needed. Thanks tcb for your ocd. Lol

wristpin

Well Known Member
If you want a clean look run the hard line around back near the distributor along the intake to valve cover. I have really good high temp woven insulation i use for brake lines, fuel lines and wiring i want protected. Ill mail 3'-4' free of charge. Its for protecting wire feed welder cable.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
If you want a clean look run the hard line around back near the distributor along the intake to valve cover. I have really good high temp woven insulation i use for brake lines, fuel lines and wiring i want protected. Ill mail 3'-4' free of charge. Its for protecting wire feed welder cable.
You thinking of a Ford??? Near distributor???