Offenhauser valve cover fit

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Fiftiesman and I have both run into a fit problem with the new Offenhauser Valve covers......... in a nut shell they don't fit. They hit the boss's on the heads and will not go down to seal.

Here's a picture of what I have started....... it's almost enough to let it sit down but not quite enough. I'm hoping it's now hitting on one of the end boss's because I can't take much more off of here because it's getting thin.

.......... anyone else have this problem????

Dave

Attachments

• small offy.JPG
    small offy.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 184

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Dave: I had sealing problems with my PMC cast covers but solved it with the thick rubber Felpro gasket and torquing down the retaining bolts pretty good.
robert

vin 58

Supporting Member 1
Dave, I just bought a new set of Offy covers and haven't tried them yet. I'm using 379 heads and is this happening on all 'W' heads? Vin

jtbender

valve cover fit

Dave,
My covers fit and seal now using a half inch thick cork gasket from Show Cars Automotive. Had the same problem with thinner gaskets. Now it is cured.
Jim

johnnyrod

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I have both types of covers and I had to remove the bosses from the heads I am useing 333 heads. in order for them to sit down properly. John

Bosco

I have an old set of Offy covers and run into the same issue. I am running a set of 817 heads:cuss:dunno

WENGINE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Boy I'm glade I know about this problem ahead of time. Thanks guys:beerbang Hey robert whats the number of those felpros. Ken

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Has anyone had this problem with the new Edelbrock's, or is this an Offy problem only?:dunno For the many years, they have been making these covers, this shouldn't be an issue.:doh Are these made in Taiwan? :eek::takethat

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I wish I had known about it before as well.......... it would have been easy to cut the boss's off of the heads before........ not so easy to do when the engine is together without getting cutting dust all over..........

The Edelbrock heads are fine because they don't have the boss's & the valve covers fit just fine.

Dave

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I agree Fatride. If I had known about the problems I would never have bought the Offenhauser's.

Dave

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Mooneyes

I got a set of the Moons several years back (3?) for $250 and they cover my 583s on the stroker engine just fine with no apparent clearance issues. Plus I like the fact that they have no manufacturer insignia on them. Although those scripted Chevrolet covers are real nice as well :).

Good luck!
TomK

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Have a set I purchased 12-15 years ago. Fit like a champ on early 58 heads.. No problems

Yours were probably made in the U.S being that long ago........ I would guess the newer ones are made off shore.

Dave

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
finished fit

Here's some pictures of what I had to do to get the valve covers to fit properly. Not only did I have to grind quite a bit off to clear the boss's on the heads, one hole would not line up for the bolt. I don't know if the picture will show it very well but I probably elongated the hole by about .030 just to get the bolt into the threads.I only had to do that on one valve cover, the other one was OK.......

Be careful and don't take to much off with the grinder..... it gets a little thin....

I can't believe these are the same as were made back when........ who knows maybe there's some off shore knock off's being marketed....... in 40 years why would I be the first to discover this......... Nothing wild here, just a set of 817's.......

Dave

Attachments

• small finished offy.JPG
    small finished offy.JPG
    88.9 KB · Views: 77
  • small finished offy2.JPG
    small finished offy2.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 76

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I've got a really old set of Offys and I had to modify them the same way Dave did in order to make them clear the bosses on the heads. I also found the gasket didn't fit the covers well so I had to do some extra grinding to make them fit properly. I ended up glueing the standard Felpro gasket into the cover and clamping it down over night. They seal great now. I have had the covers off numerous times in the lasy 6 years and they still have the same gaskets.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
I have some vintage 70s Offys that always fit fine any head I put them on. They are HEAVY muthas though!

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I considered buying a set of the 3/8" spacers, siliconing them directly to the head, and using a thick gasket glued to the cover?? My thought was to try to keep oil off of the gasket. Has anyone tried the spacers?