Oil bypass.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
when I was disassembleing my engine I saw that the oil bypass valve was missing the valve disk. I'm no genius but I'm guessing the engine oil was bypassing the filter all the time. This engine never had a chance!

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Now for the next question, how many eliminate the bypass all together? Or by an aftermarket bypass with higher pressure bypass?

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
I don't like any bypass of the oil filter,period! Although more expensive up front,I strongly prefer Scott's idea of the System 1 filter.You'll have a much easier time monitoring the engines oil system,it's easier to clean,and you only buy it once.In Grumpys engine book on small blocks ,he strongly advised against by pass.The only reason that one is there is so that"Joe Consumer" wouldn't lose his engine as easily when he didn't have the oil changed soon enough,and the filter became plugged up from sludge.

Last edited:

dm62409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
I lost the bypass valve disk , and it settled over the oil galley hole, blocking all oil to the motor, except for the little hole in the center of the disk. Spun a main bearing, as this happened during a run. Block off bypass by tapping threads for pipe plug, and use 2 qt. spin on filter for extra capacity. Just take it easy on the motor on cold starts. This happened in 2000 , haven't had any trouble since. I run both the race car, and the Belair street car this way.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Ok, I'll buy that, I can't even find the disk! Seeing that I have the spin on adapter and can't even see the bypass makes me wonder how long I've been running like this, bypassing the filter that is. To compound the issue I have had to run a dinky little Delco 454 filter due to header clearance. This time around after blocking the bypass I'm going to install a remote filter system. I have one in the garage that will accept a two quart wix. All I have to do is find a location and replace the rubber lines that came with the kit to ss braided line.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
What remote filter systems are others using? The one I have takes a small diameter filter. I don't want to use that. I want one that uses a standard size filter.

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I've always run the bypass but I know it would be better without it. I just get nervous that the filter won't flow enough and I'll starve something. It's just a mental stumbling block for me.

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
I think my bypass is plugged, and I use a ford filter with a bypass built in on my blower motor.

jwhotrod

Supporting Member 1
If you go to remote oil filters go to Canton Racing for the adapters and mounts all the die cast stuff from Teans adapt and everybody else is junk. I could not get the die cast stuff to quit leaking, either around the oil filter iyself or the house fittings. Also I used 10 AN hose and fitttings as the Canton Racing parts are tapped 1/2" NPT

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
If you go to remote oil filters go to Canton Racing for the adapters and mounts all the die cast stuff from Teans adapt and everybody else is junk. I could not get the die cast stuff to quit leaking, either around the oil filter iyself or the house fittings. Also I used 10 AN hose and fitttings as the Canton Racing parts are tapped 1/2" NPT
Thank you, I'll look.

32witha409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I'm running the factory bypass adapter, what other options are there and not us the ford filter? You guys have me worried. :facepalm

32witha409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Anyone with a good replacement for the OEM adapter?
Going bypass less is way to risky for me. One healthy differential pressure spike across the filter element and the element can collapse and or perforate resulting on a permanent bypass.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
It won't happen if you use a quality filter.On my 355,the oil pressure would go as high as 90psi when running 20-50 from a twenty degree water temp start up,no biggie as long as you kept it below 4,000 until the oil temperature came up.if I ran a more sensible 10-30 the oil pressure never went above 75.Jegs sells a couple of adapters that have no by pass,and they aren't anymore expensive than the stock replacement ones.The cheapest way is to knock out the valve in the one you already have,tap it for the plug,install said plug,then reinstall on your engine.A typical cam gallery thread sized plug will do the job.

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
I personally have not JWhotrod was his avatar name in the thread that I referred to in my previous message and he swore by them