Oil leak

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I posted this question on ChevyTalk and didn't get a definitive answer...

On the front of the 409, near the fuel pump there are two holes...
418566283Hjmrmy_th.jpg
Some people use one of these to hold up the fuel pump rod while installing the pump on a SBC motor. Do I need to block off one or both of these holes ?

I've never used this method of installing a pump so I don't know if they go through to the pump or not. I've got quiet a bit of oil coming from somewhere and this maybe part of the problem... :?

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Nuts,,,The bottom hole goes all the way through. Muy, muy big oil leak. short 3/8 std, bolt with a little silicone.

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Thanks

Ronnie,

Thanks for the information - I'll pick up some bolts and plug them off. Maybe that will at least slow down some of the oil.... :bow

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
More Questions

Ronnie,

I checked the holes last nigh... They appear to be 1/2" insead of 3/8" but that's not a problem. Both the lower and upper holes go clear through, the upper looks to be the one that would hold the fuel pump rod. I thought I'd just plug them both off because they aren't doing anything anyway ??? Your thoughts are appreciated.

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I would put some thread sealant on some short bolts and plug them off. Then I would clean everything off and run the engine over 2000rpm for a while down the road and check and see if that didn't stop the oil leak. :) Roy