Oil pan

bmac

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
swapping pans

Art,

I have a couple pans. When I get home (on vacation now) I can snap some pics and send them to see what you think.
I'll be home Monday.

I'm glad you posted the thread, I would have found out about the pan too late in the build of my engine.

bmac

art38

Well Known Member
That's fine. If you need more pic of this pan that I have, please let me know. I'm leaving Friday for Cal, going to the Goodguy Show in Bakersfield. I'm still looking for some heads.

Rockfish39

Supporting Member 1
Last good deed of the day...

Art,
Call Jack at 409 Chevy Performance, he has the heads that you need for a reasonable cost and is out in Willows, CA so shipping costs wont be bad for you...

530-934-4336

Tell him that

Virginia is for Lovers!!!!!!!! (409 Lovers, that is...)

Rock :cool:

How about a VERY near perfect 1965 pan with a small notch in the front, it was supposedly for an engine swap (into a 62-65 Chevy II). No one wanted it because it was a 65 and the notch. I also have a truck motor, NOS, with the pan on it, but it looks like it would be way too long for a passenger car.

bmac

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Pan

Art,

thanks, I'll try and get you some pics when I get home. I appreciate you thinking about it.

Fran,

Thanks, if the pan would work that would be good. I just found out today that the one I have will not work (thanks Rock!) I would be interested in the event the pans I have are not as nice as Art's looking for. By the way, I really enjoy your info on the way things were in the factory.

bmac

BMAC: Thanks for the comment, if it weren't so cold out I'd go out in the garag and sniff around. I've gotta take another look at these pans. I got one really *hitty looking 09 and the same in a 348, both will take a LOT of work to make nice. I was ALMOST temped to go after the one on Ebay today.

art38

Well Known Member
What is the truck pan like? I don't have a cross member clearance problem on this coupe, so maybe it would work.

Art: I just crawled around the parts in the garage. The 65 pan looks the same as the one pictured in first post, EXCEPT!:
where the first hump is there's a 1" x 1" piece of angle welded in. If you were doing a perfect resoration it wouldn't work, but if it's a driver quality car no one would ever see it unless they crawled underneath.

The one on the truck motor looks like the sump is a little bigger (longer) but someone out there knows what a 409 truck pan looks like and can comment better.

The two ther pans I have are a 409 (I have 409 written on it and believe it came of a 340 hp motor I have (short block only), it's a sand blast and then filler prime and massage to make it PASSABLE. Then there's a 348 also nasty but serviceable if cleaned up.

I have to learn how to post pictures on Ebay soon and can then post some here. A picture is worth a 1000 words!.

I'm stuck right now, I have two good pans, the 65 and the truck. I need one for a 348 looking 409 truck based low po motor IF I keep some parts.

WickedWayz

Wow I didnt know the GOODGUYS show is this Friday at Famoso Raceway. I go every year to the show for the last couple of years. What day are u going ART. I know it run from FRI thru SUN. They have a good swap meet there :D. Maybe Ill see you there.

art38

Well Known Member
Fran,
I interested in the truck pan. Send me an e-mail of pictures if you can. abklein@earthlink.net

WickedWays,
I'm leaving Denver Friday afternoon, staying in Thousnd Oaks Friday night (in-laws) and the Saturday morning my son and I will drive to Bakersfield for two days. If you want to meet up, let me know.
Art

bmac

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
lots pans

Fran,

I have a 348 pan, I think from a 59 engine. I have not cleaned it up yet but sure could.

This is kinda cool, could turn into a 3 way round robin pan swap if I'm really lucky!!!!

bmac

kbc409nova

Supporting Member 1
Fran
I am interested in the 65 pan with the notch in it. I have a quite nice 348 pan
that needs the baffle welded back in.
kbc409@ frontiernet.net
Kevin

Good grief, what have I started. Ok, first I haven't learned how to Email a picture, and I MUST learn and soon.

Problems:
1) 65 pan, it's loose, one step below one pictured (if paint removed and the notch), what's it worth?. I don't want to rip anyone on this site, but not give it away either. Either I sell it for a FAIR price, but not the most I could get, or swap for parts I (may need). I like the swap better because you may have what I may need and we BOTH can make out.
2) Truck pan, it's on a NOS 409 truck motor now, and it's about as nice as you can find (no rust, flaking paint). But it's on a motor now and unless I got a MINT passenger car 409 pan I can't sell it. I say that only because it may have a LITTLE larger capacity for someone who races, but I don't know. Not interested in a 348 pan. This engine may be one I keep after I sell the rest of my stuff to screw around with, maybe build into a pure street motor.Bottom line here is it's on a motor.
3) Bad 409 pan. I say that only because it needs a THOROUGH cleaning, it's from a 340hp shortblock that's DISGUSTING but not head bank cracks and can be rebuilt. Basically it's a "core", and in my opinion passenger blocks are much more valuable than people think. Heads?, dime a dozen. Cranks & rods?, dime a dozen. Blocks?, every engine that's built uses one up and they didn't make that many to begin with, besides which they havae a habit of cracking just below the head bank (my NOS truck motor is cracked, half the number of blocks I've seen were cracked). Anyway, it goes with the motor and I'd look for a NICE one to sell with the motor so it's a moot point.
4) 348 pan, loose, and DISGUSTING looking, dented bottom, but with some effort (a LOT!) it could be made decent. I think I paid 10 or 20 bucks for it. It's in with the bunch of parts I'm selling. I don't think it's worth much.

bmac: If the truck pan works in a passenger car and I can use it MAYBE we can work something out that's fair for both of us. YOU need it so would get first crack (how soon do you need it?).

everyone else: If the truck pan works for me in a passenger car I have to keep it. If it has more capacity and someone else can use it I'll SWAP it for a similar condition passenger car 409 pan (no 348's). I'm thinking arts38.

Frankly I'm sorry I posted what I did, I should have maybe shut up, maybe some LEARNED about 409 oil pans from all this, I know I did.

Mr Goodwrench

Well Known Member
oil pans

wonder what happened to all the oil pans???? seems like there is a real shortage of them, surly they didnt build the engine without a pan did they :D or did a bunch of them end up in the junkyard with the rods hanging out them? friend of mine used to say rev it up ...blow it up... scoop it up 409 409 :D

art38

Well Known Member
Fran,
I think bmac needs my 65 pan for his 65 car. I honestly don't care as long as it's a equally or better pan. Please nobody should take what I'm about to say wrong, I need parts to complete my motor as well as alot of others do. Why should I GIVE a high thought after pan away for some pan that not as good and get nothing more. Ok, I got a new idea, I have two heads, one is casting 555 and the other is 857, who wants to trade me for some good 817's. Remember heads are dime a dozen. Anyone like my new idea? bmac this was not aimed at you or anyone else, I just thought it was funny how everyone was making so many assumptions.
:D

Art, let's calm down, I only suggested that if we can help one another let's do that. bmac needs a 65 pan, I don't know if he has extra parts to swap, if he does maybe that's the way to go.

As far as the heads are concerned, I don't know what -555's are from or -857's, but -817's are 340hp/409's and the next best after 690/583 hi pos (they have 2.07 intakes). Lord knows (and you guys) that I'm not the most knowledgable guy here on what's best, but I think the BEST head is the 583 (stronger valve spring area's, followed by 690's, both because of the 2.19 valves/ports, followed by 817's with 2.07 intakes, followed by ???. I'm reading here there are others that can be putzed with to make a decent head but haven't a clue which is best or better.

Where are the oil pans?. My guess is a lot are rusted and/or dented. There's one on Ebay today at $42.50 that looks clean if not dented, what you guys would sell one for is anyone's guess. And no one has answered my question about the difference between a 409 truck pan and passenger car one. I should know but haven't got the urge to go out in the cold garage and unwrap the 409 truck to see. What are they worth?. the one pictured here seems to be as good as you'll EVER find for a 1965 pan, they made 2243 400hp ENGINES in 1965 and 719 340hp ENGINES. How many pans are still out there?.

Anyway, I hope Goodwrench was only KIDDING!.

348NUT

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Isn't this fun? :D I just read through all your posts and and can see all your points. Art you started this. The way I see it, in a perfect world you would find a perfect truck or earlier car pan to replace the 65 pan. You'd get some extra money in the deal and a little more oil capacity. I don't think there is any dimentional differance between truck pans and the older car pans. The truck has the drain plug facing down and some have baffles some don't. I don't think it is your duty to search out this perfect swap unless you have the time. Obviously you could sell that 65 pan on Ebay and replace it with a less expensive truck pan. That wouldn't help bmac though. On to bmac, it isn't that hard to modify these pans and to make an older version look like that 65 would be fairly easy with a hack saw and a wire feed welder. I've done two 348 pans now, one just shortened the sump The other I shortened and deepend the sump for a stroker. You can make them look factory to if you take your time. See my photos in the members gallery. I hope this works out for everyone. :)
Oh and I have a perfect truck pan with no baffle that I'm saving because my 61 409s pan is mutilated. Anyone wanna trade a nice older car pan for my truck pan? Didn't think so. :p NUT

art38

Well Known Member
Fran,
I really was not getting excited. I thought it would be fun to turn this situation around to benefit me for once as a joke. Peace. Your right there may be a pan on e-bay for $42, last week a 409 pan went for over $500. Again I know I do not need this pan for my rod.