Oil pan

art38

Well Known Member
FUN FUN

Nuts,
I thought it was:D still waiting for someone to reply to my head offer.:D I really hope I don't p..s anyone off. I think this is a great site.
Art38

348NUT

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
All in Fun

If you find someone let me know as I have a set of 857s I'd let go at a price. ;) I hear farm empliment restorers like Phast Fill are scooping these babies up so better act fast! :p NUT

WickedWayz

Wow Art U coming all the way from Denver 2 California. It a Nice little drive. Hopefully by 2night ill let u know bout meeting up at Famoso. But mostly likey ill go if things stay the way they are.

art38

Well Known Member
Nuts,
I believe those 857's can be redone with at least 2.06/1.72 and maybe 2.19/1.72 valves.
Art38

bobs409

Administrator
On '65's im not 100% sure but I do recall a discussion or two here that mentioned 64-older truck pans being the exact same thing as cars only with the drain plug in a different location. (on the bottom I think)

I don't think the capacity is different between the two. All of the pans should hold 5 quarts and 1 in the filter. The oil filters were bigger on the trucks and that's where they might have larger oil capacity's. Those would hold more.

Of course, im no truck expert, im only going by what I've heard from our friends here. If im wrong, blame everyone else here for steering me wrong! :D

Bob

art38

Well Known Member
WickedWays,
I'm flying there. Rod is not ready yet and my 67 Firebird I wouldn't think of driving it this time of year over the Rocky. Let me know.
Art38

Bob: your right about the larger oil filter (canister). I remember a buddy using one on a Chevelle he had, held about a 1/2 quart more (hung down about that much too). If you've got the ground clearance this is the way to go. I haven't checked yet on the part number for a screw on filter but I know they make them, again, IF you have the ground clearance it's the way to go, larger filter, more oil, can't lose.

bmac

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Hmm,

I wrote a bunch and posted and it got eaten... strange.

Nut,

I did post a few back about modifying the one I have. May end up doing that. However, if Art/Fran and I can make a deal that gets me the right one, that would be great. Since they both have the rare one, I'd expect to part with some cash as well. Hopefully it will work out. I do have 2 409 pans(I think) and one 348 pan maybe one of them will work for Art but I would want him to have a good one for his build as well.

As for my build: When I get back from vacation next week hopefully my block and lower end will be done and hopefully the heads soon after. I'm hoping to have it in by May however Rock told me I may have some other issues since my car is not an original 409 so I'm a bit nervous on that. I'm a hobbiest with my car and have only heard one 409 and that's Aubreys mpg file on his site. Only seen one for that matter as well.

This group is great, I find out about 24 hours ago I need a unique pan and within 6 hours have the possiblity of two members willing to swap! Pretty awesome.:cheers

bmac

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Originally posted by bmac
I'm a hobbiest with my car and have only heard one 409 and that's Aubreys mpg file on his site. Only seen one for that matter as well.
bmac

OWHHHH,,,,!!!! Are you going to SMILE !!!!When she lights,,,,,,MAN O MAN !!!!! Make sure the exhaust IS NOT hooked up !!!

There are a few members in the Great Falls area,,,,,,
You might hook up with them and have some fun !!!! Some times it helps to see another car for reference,,,,

AND ,,,,,,Aubrey (Oz) is not that far from you either,,,,,
Take to Dinosaur Territory and see some GOOD action !!
Shoot,,, might as well make it on the weekend he will be racing !!!! Pick me up at the airport !!!,,,dq

SSpev

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
something else funny

Hey I was the first person to reply to art38. I asked if he would sell it. :deal Then every one jumped in wanting to trade:confused: Hey I have 4 348 pans 1 409 truck and a 348 truck (just like the 09) What you want??? I'll even make you a pan;) I got 2 rusted up 348 pans. Well one of them I plan to turn into a 65 pan with a 396 doner:cool: ..... I don't really need one right now. Price of the leg:cuss Anyway just had to post something:p ;) Just having fun:cheers :cheers :cheers

art38

Well Known Member
We can all work this out next week. I'm leaving for Cal (Goodguy Show) tomorrow afternoon, so nothing can be done till next week sometime.
Art38

WickedWayz

As it looks now Ill be going SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY. I wanted to go Saturday but my father isnt going tell sunday,so SUNDAY it is :) .

SSpev

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
trade?

I got one with the bottem rusted off. Would that be the one you need? ;) :rolleyes: :D

bobs409

Administrator
Nothing wrong with that Tom. Just find one with the top half rusted off and weld the two together! :D :p

Seriously, you could fab a new bottom and use it on a custom application. Even make a deep sump out of it. (or sell it on ebay, just say "409" a few times in the ad) :D

Mr Goodwrench

Well Known Member
No thanks ss got one of those myself :cuss like I said before seems to be a serious shorage of oil pans :evil wonder how close a big block pan comes to fitting? prob miles off I would guess.

bubbletop61

Well Known Member
348 pan vs 409

I have a good 348 pan, but I am thinking of building a stroker using a stock 409 crank. This is probably a pretty simple question among this crowd...Do I need to get a 409 pan, or will the 409 crank spin in the 348 pan? Pros,Cons???? Is there an oil capacity difference? Are there many differences or variations among 348 pans from year to year or truck to car?
Thanks
Gar

SSpev

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Custom Pan

Bob, Mr Goodwrench, I actually have 2 messed up pans. One rusted (should see the engine:eek: ) one hit with a fork truck:cuss . I plan to make a 65 409 pan with one by mating a 65 - 70 fullsize 396 pan to the bottem. I check some time back and I don't recall a fit problem. I'll cut the rail off the rusty 348 pan and weld the bottem of the 396 pan on. The dipstick will even end up in the right place. Goodwrench, if you want to get ride of that rusted up junk pan:p :rolleyes: , you can send it to me. I might even trade some pitted and melted pistons ;) . Did I say trade????:D :cheers

SSpev

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Save on shipping

Hey Goodwrench, just had an idea. I could just drive over and pick up that pan...and anything else you want to unload. ;) Where you at exactly?:confused: :D