oil pressure problem

Stude58

Hello, I have a oil pressure problem with my 409. I have no oil on ether side of the rockers. I primed it with the show car tool and it shows' 25 psi . It has a high volume pump with 20-50 wt oil. The short block was built by a shop that has done several 409s the rear cam baring is installed correctly. It has a hyd roller cam. I was a ase master tech for 30 years but this is my first 409 not sure where to start. Thanks for any help Mike.

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
That's pretty heavy oil for break in. It will take longer to get to the rockers. Are you getting an oil pressure reading from near the oil filter?

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
My '09 even using a distrinutor took 3 times as long to get oil to all the ropckers as any of my Pontiac motors.. PSI will depend on how fast your drill is spinning. Usually I have needed a 1/2 drill to not bog it down too much.
It sometimes takes quite a while depending on how well the tool seals against the block, and it takes a real drill as well! Most of the break in oils are straight 30 too. And rotating the thing seems to help.

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Dave I had 2 brand new lifters that the plungers stuck down on my new build. 10 mins into cam break in and it started to rattle.they were Comp too