oil recs for 409?

Michael Cohen

Supporting Member 1
So what oil is best for 409 hp motor. Brands used would be helpful. Weight, best zinc content (if any), brand, store where purchased(autozone or internet. or old forum discussion link? Thanks Michael

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Depends what lifter and cam you run. Flat tappet requires
Zinc and phosphors to remain happy, roller not so much. Rottella works well. I use Rottella to break the engine in then synthetic after.

bobs409

Administrator
I prefer 10w30 Valvoline and a bottle of ZDDP (zinc additive) in all of my vehicles. So far, so good... :D

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
All the above are good suggestions.The absolute key here is what Ray said.If you're running a flat tappet,which in you are,you MUST either run a "specalty" oil such as Brad Penn,or Joe Gibbs,or you MUST add an additive like Bob mentioned.The diesel oils such as Rotella used to be a good alternative,but even they have removed the zinc and phosphors to the point that they don't work either.Break it in well using only conventional[NO SYNTHETIC during break in],then either pay through the nose for the good stuff,or pay through the nose for the proper additive at EACH oil change.Like Ray,once the break in is done,I prefer the synthetic oils myself.This goes for all engines with a flat tappet cam and lifters,not just the "W" engines.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
All the above are good suggestions.The absolute key here is what Ray said.If you're running a flat tappet,which in you are,you MUST either run a "specalty" oil such as Brad Penn,or Joe Gibbs,or you MUST add an additive like Bob mentioned.The diesel oils such as Rotella used to be a good alternative,but even they have removed the zinc and phosphors to the point that they don't work either.Break it in well using only conventional[NO SYNTHETIC during break in],then either pay through the nose for the good stuff,or pay through the nose for the proper additive at EACH oil change.Like Ray,once the break in is done,I prefer the synthetic oils myself.This goes for all engines with a flat tappet cam and lifters,not just the "W" engines.
I have heard the same thing about the Rottella Don.

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I buy all my Brad Penn oil from Buy Rite Auto in Caledonia, WI. Mike the owner has great prices. You will want to find a dealer near you. They sell it by the case for around $60.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Wow Jason,if there's 12 qts in a case[I remember when a case of oil was 24 qts.],that works out to about 5.00 per qt.A really good deal!

SSpev

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I wouldn't run Rottella any more. They definatly have cut the additives. I think I can look into our data base and find the content. I think the only oils left for a flat tappit are the specialty oils. Although I do have a theory. After running a flat tappet for some time, you don't need the additives. BUT This may only work with a light valve spring. I have NEVER ran any special oil in my 327. Built in 88(?) No cam problems.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
I tend to agree with you Tom.On my 408 in sb with the Lunati cam,built in the 90's [well before this no zinc junk started] ,the cam and lifters still look new.Maybe those additives kinda imbed them selves somewhat from "back in the day"?

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Correct Don, 12qts to a case. Great deal! $5/qt is cheaper than pennzoil at Autozone! If anyone is in the area, look Buy Rite Auto Parts up. A genuine, old fashioned auto parts store! Guys standing around the counter jawing about headers and carbs, pics of race cars they have sponsored, helped, work on, sold parts too etc behind the counter, full paint supplies area, everything in stock right there and prices even Advance and OReilly can't beat! I go there for everything!

http://www.buyrightautoparts.com

If you have a Facebook page, be sure to support and LIKE their page. Support the local business as much as possible because shops like these are becoming like dinosaurs!!!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Buy-Right-Auto-Parts/151057535012162

Michael Cohen

Supporting Member 1
So I found Brad Penn in Van Nuys 7 bucks per so next question 5 quarts with filter change (409 425 hp dual quad) their web site says the hp syn blend oil has all the zinc i'll need.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Good price,6 qts including filter.Since your engine has so few miles on it due to the valve train issues,NO kind of synthetic for about 3,000 miles.Modern rings and honing techniques have greatly reduced the needed time on the engine to seal the rings,but since we don't know exactly what parts are in there,not to mention the quality of the work,given the, valve train issues,be conservative,be safe.Once the engine has about 3-4000 miles,then a synthetic blend should be fine.

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
I just ordered some Lucas zinc additive for my car. I forgot to put the additive in this time. I started using 10w30 Rotella instead of 15-40 or 20-50. We will see if it is a mistake or not soon enough.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Zinc kills cats and I think they started using cats on diesels which could be why no more(or low) zinc in Rotella.

Molten

Well Known Member
I am using Lucas engine break in oil additive along with 15/40. I used it in my 283 with no issues. I like the extra viscosity in the hot summer months.