Oil with zink

bobs409

Administrator
My dad used to use Quaker state with a LEE filter religiously for his 70 Dodge Charger R/T. I don't recall any sludge problems but at 107K, it started losing oil pressure and he sold it. (rear frame was flaking too) I wanted to buy it but nope, not a chance. I was about 16/17. I guess they didn't trust me with that 440?? :laugh4

Sold it for a whopping $500 dollars!!!!!!!!!! He was the original owner, 440 automatic in Plum Crazy purple/black interior and vinyl top. I think I'm going to go have a private crying jag now... :bawl:wah:cryI was 4 years old when he brought it home and somewhere there is a picture of both of us standing next to it. OMG, WHY did he sell it??????????

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Nowadays, everybody talks about how bad Fram oil filters are. :dohBack then, in the 70's LEE oil filters had to be the worst. A buddy and I were working OT one night. When we came out, to go home, a few minutes after the car started, we heard a pop sound. We looked at one another with a ?? on our faces.:dunno2 A couple seconds later, the oil light came on. I got out and looked under the hood, and noticed oil, all over the ground. I told him "Shut It Off" The filter exploded.:confused Since I was skinnier, I got the job of crawling under the car, on the cold ground and removing it. :rolleyesThe filter was packed with a toilet paper substance. WTF. Luckily for us, he had a spare (other brand) in the trunk, along with spare oil. He never used one of those again.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
My dad used to use Quaker state with a LEE filter religiously for his 70 Dodge Charger R/T. I don't recall any sludge problems but at 107K, it started losing oil pressure and he sold it. (rear frame was flaking too) I wanted to buy it but nope, not a chance. I was about 16/17. I guess they didn't trust me with that 440?? :laugh4

Sold it for a whopping $500 dollars!!!!!!!!!! He was the original owner, 440 automatic in Plum Crazy purple/black interior and vinyl top. I think I'm going to go have a private crying jag now... :bawl:wah:cryI was 4 years old when he brought it home and somewhere there is a picture of both of us standing next to it. OMG, WHY did he sell it??????????
In same beat up condition today worth $20k

Well Known Member
As well as using Quaker State oil for years with no problems, I also have been using Fram oil filters too and no problems.

Thunder80

Did you know AMSOIL OIL has 5 Synthetic oils that has high zinc I used Amsoil Oil in my 1976 Ford van changed twice a year, the eng was so clean.

When I put a 283 or 348 in my 58 Impala it will have this oil. It is a little $$$ .................... Just saying Use a good filter - Wix is good

AMSOIL Z-ROD® 10W-30 100% Synthetic Motor Oil​

AMSOIL Z-ROD® 10W-40 100% Synthetic Motor Oil​

AMSOIL Z-ROD® 20W-50 100% Synthetic Motor Oil​

AMSOIL Premium Protection 20W-50 100% Synthetic Motor Oil​

AMSOIL Premium Protection 10W-40 100% Synthetic Motor Oil​

• Engineered for classic vehicles
  • Helps retain horsepower
  • High-zinc formula protects flat-tappet cams, lifters, rockers & other critical components
  • Protects against rust during storage

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I've pretty much standardized on Brad Penn 15-40,and I might use 20-50 in the event of extreme temperatures mid-summer.

After that, I'd go to Driven and I have always wanted to try Amsoil if anyone cares to chime in on that. And I know guys that swore by Harley oil, so there's that if you want to be different.