Ok I think the clutch is "finished"

RCE1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I've only had the car out and about a dozen times over the last month or two. Just recently, three things...
Bought the car in January. We don't thaw real well here until May. Not much time to devote to project. After several times on the road, the followiong was relayed.

1. Much slippage in 1st gear to get the car to move. (Close ratio 4-speed trans) & I think ± 4:56 rear gears.
2. Next...when shifting 2-3-4, the trans (at times) will disengage and free-wheel until the revs settle down abit. (Note: no radical use. Just regular traffic). 3....descent down hill areas, has transmission popping out of gear.

Question.

I would appreciate your opinions on the whole clutch package. Pressure plates, clutch, throw-out bearings etc. Initially siding on "stock" but would like to have aggressive assembly anyways. Ideas re: overkill also welcome.

Please provide input.

Thanks,

RCE

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Just to clairify things, when you say "Much slippage in 1st gear to get the car to move" Do you mean that you have to ride the clutch quite a bit to get the car moving? Or does the clutch tend to slip on it's own. I'm guessing you have to ride it a bit because a slipping clutch usually shows up more in the higher gears.
I'm no expert on transmissions but from the way you describe it I think your tranny's in need of a overhaul kit. I managed to rebuild mine with the help of a shop manual and a magazine article. :scratch I think the kit cost quite a bit, about $275 Canadian. But you don't need any special tools except maybe some good snap ring pliers. Or you could always look for a deal on a wide ratio 4 speed, the lower first gear might make your clutch problems go away. By the way 4:56 gears are pretty radical for street use have you ever checked to see if that's what you've got or are you going by the way the car sounds to be reving? If it's a posi you can check it by jacking it up and spinning the tires one full turn. While doing that you count how many turns the driveshaft makes. If it makes a bit more than 4 1/2 turns then you've got 4:56's :deal I think you should be able to check an open rearend by jacking up just one wheel and giving it two turns instead of one. :scratch I'm not 100 percent sure about that one though.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
popping out

Pop out of gear is sometimes worn shifter forks or badly adjusted shifter stops. Easy fix. Remove the side cover and replace, re-adjust shifter stops if equipted .

SteveD409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Clutches on these cars are mechanically activated (as compared to hydraulic on newer clutches) and are adjustable. Might check adjustment.

No load popping out of gear (down hill) is usually a sign of sick tranny, but I can see how worn forks and mal-adjusted stops could cause the same problem because the gears aren't getting fully meshed. I'm gonna check the fork(s) on my 8N that keeps popping out of first when going downhill (thanks, Models). Probably the gears on this puppy, though.

SteveD

RCE1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Thanks guys. The clutch slips on its own. Extra throttle will over-rev and easing off grabs again.

Jim...when I get a chance to check the gear ratio like that, I will let you know. These gears and the W motor sure provide lots of pull, but with the price of gas lately.... installing different gears maybe the next project....along with the tranny and clutch.

RCE

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Okay, so you need a new clutch alright, assuming it was adjusted right. I personally can't recomend an specific brand but I'm sure others have Ideas. While you've got the tranny out you might as well pull the side cover off like like models916 suggested and see how things look in there.