OK Who bought 75 engines

raymar58409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Alright who acquired the 75 engines from the Peoria, Il area. Come out comeout whoever you are:scratch
Ray

raymar58409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Guy at the machine shop I went to today said he had met a guy that was into 409's a couple years ago and still had his number. Called him to see if he had any parts he would be willing to sell. I got the impression he was from the peoria, Il. area from the side of the conversation I was able to here. Long story short he won't tell who the guy is, but said he had had 75 engines and just sold his whole collection a short time ago. I know there are guys on this site from that area and thought maybe we could find out whats going on with this stuff. How bout it Goodwrench.:dunno
Ray

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Skip's comming

Skip's swap is comming end of Feb. Could turn up there if sold in the area. There is a guy in Itasca buying up lots of Chevy stuff from the 60's. Maybe not him, but might know who.

Mr Goodwrench

Well Known Member
There was a person who lived in a little town about 40 miles west of me called nokomis who had a rather large collection of 409/348 and a complete Z-11 and the top end off another one. more W parts than I had or have since ever seen both new and used. Z-11 was in a 64 chevelle had a white 63 rag 340-409 was working on a 59 elky. guys garage and shop was better than the house I'm living in, even air coniditoned. used to go over and chat with him and toss down some beers, he nd his wife was on the verge of getting the big D, he crashed his corvette and got killed. his widow had a sleeze bag son who tried to sell some of his W stuff for drug money (so we heard) but It basicly set for severall years, last time I talked to his brother she finally sold everything and got a pretty good chunk of change out of it, though I never heard how much. He was a swell person and we do miss him. I wonder if the stuff you are talking about could be some of his???? he had the only large collection I've ever known about in the last 25 years.
another note, at the time of his death he was on to and had pictures of a 63 he found out in colorado that had a 283 in it with the heater hoses running through the large hole in the firewall where the air cleaner used to hook up? he said the guy was pissed because it had an aluminum front bumper that bent when he jacked it up to change a tire. care to guess what that was??? :doh he was hot after that car, and I'm sure had he lived he would have got it bought.

raymar58409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
goodwrench

This guy sounds like the guy but as it was a couple years ago that my machinist talked to him until yesterday. I did hear him call him Steve.
Ray

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
M Marvel,,,,,,, Thanks for posting that web-address. Man, that was interesting. I have heard of such collections, but have never seen one. Reading all the information was great. Thanks again.

raymar58409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
MMARVEL, no its not that one, I seen that one, that one is in Wisconsin. Amazing ain't it.
Ray

M Marvel

Some guys have all the luck!

I know it's none of my business, but I'd really like to know what he had to give for all of it.
One of the things I found most interesting was that he was planning on helping people get their cars back to "numbers matching." I took that as: he was willing to sell you back the motor to your car it was indeed the original motor from your car. Wouldn't that be neat to find the original 409 after all these years if you had found a car that had been swapped to a smallblock, or maybe you bought with no motor?