Okla New Guy

SteveB

Supporting Member 1
Hello from southern Okie land. Not much here to brag about, but will admit to being a longtime carnut. All American cars in general, but Chevy's in particular. I feel also that the last of the great, affordable for everyone, U. S. cars rolled off the lines in 1972.
Still have magazines and models I bought in the 60's. Of course I have accumulated much more car related items since then. I am know to still sling a little glue when the weather just will not allow anything else.
Loved old heads up drags, even though I never got to try my hand at it. Always partial to S/S cars and gassers. To me they were always the most outstanding part of the sport. Diggers are no doubt fun to see, but they just didn't look like the cars cruise'n from the Sonic down to the A&W. Man I miss that!
The reason I have come to you guys is to gain some of your knowledge. I have a 48 Aero, that I want to get on the road this year. I have decided to pull the SBC out of my glass rdst for this project. Now I want something different to stick back in the rdst. if possible. Here's where you guys come in.
My brother-in-law has a '64/5 grain truck with a W engine in it. It was running this last spring, but something went wrong. No mechanics are he or his handy man, so it just got parked. The engine is mine for the taking! I want it, and since it's the right price(free), even if it's beyond repair, a big ole boat anchor, it would still be cool as all get out, cleaned up and painted, setting on an engine stand.
I also have a '53 Chev 1/2 ton that is my daily driver. 235 in it, no heat, or wipers, but hey it all takes time right.
Hope this helps gain some of the expertise I require, and will let you guys know more details shortly, as I need to pull this engine before he actions all his junk off this March.
Thanks for your time, Steve.

Attachments

• DSCI0004 (Small).JPG
    DSCI0004 (Small).JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 64
  • 32 rdst 2 (Small).JPG
    32 rdst 2 (Small).JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 84

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Welcome Steve, That truck motor is very desirable. We have an entire thread devoted to truck motor build-ups. What part of Okla.?? east or west ? BTW... After seeing the name on your garage,,, it appears we have the same nickname, at least that's what a lot of people call me.

SteveB

Supporting Member 1
Thanks guys.
Ronnie, where is Ladonia? I'm in the sw part of OK. About 65 miles n.e. of Wichita Falls. And yes, people seem to get that impression about me occasionaly!
Jim, how about the engine outa that drop top? I'll take it. If pulls that thing to mid 12's, that little glass car should be quite a handful.
Steve.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Ooops, sorry Steve, Ladonia is 30 mi SW of Paris. Close to a million miles from you. But if you ever travel east, stop in for a brew. :cheers