On a 63 impala can the vin decode if it is an ss

Texas Doc

I have what I have been told is a 1963 convertible impala SS 409. My vin is 31867J266335. However I have just recently been told, if the # after the first 3 is 14 it is an ss and if is 18 it signifies that it is a v8. I have also been told that there is no such thing as a 314 opening sequence for a 63 , and the 14 designation for an ss was for 64. Does anybody know definitively ? thanks for the help

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
There is no differenciation between Impala and SS Impala in the 63 VIN. As you mentioned, that started in 64.
The best indication of SS is the trim code on the trim tag for bucket seat nterior.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
As Cecil states: The 3 in the serial number is for the year (63). The 1867 is the model number of a V-8 convertible. The model number is one group of 4 numbers. A 1767 model number is for a 6 cylinder convertible. The J is for the Janesville, Wi, General Motors plant where it was built. The remaining 6 numbers are for the number of the body built at that plant (all models are included in this number.

Click on the tab under HOME (for this site) and you will find the breakdown under 58-64 and the VIN decoder tab

Paul

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Look at the trim tag on the cowl. That will indicate what interior color and seats. Only the SS cars came with bucket seats.

Texas Doc

Thank you boys, Muscle car review did a piece on my car this month(July) and the author (Jerry Heasley), has all his facts wrong, but since he is the supposed expert I started questioning my self. My trim Tag decodes as Ermine white exterior, with white convertible top and an aqua bucket seat interior!!! Thanks again 348-409. com

Jerry H Heasley

Sorry for the mistakes in Muscle Car Review. I'm writing a book on Rare Finds, GM cars and plan to include this car in the book. I would like to talk to you about getting the story right this time on documentation using the VIN, etc. Please email me - jerryheasley@gmail.com

Thanks,
Jerry