Once owned a Z-11

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
Hi. Long time no post. In 1980, when I was just getting started with the 409 Chevy Club of America, I received an ad in the mail from someone in Medford,Oregon, who had a boat with a supposedly Z-11 engine. I figured that it could have been anything. How many 409's did you go look at that turned out to be 348's? How many times back then did people call with stuff for sale they were blatantly lying about? Well, I asked him to send me a couple of polaroid pix about the engine, and asked him for some part numbers. He sent me back the pix-definitely Z top end, but the block was doubtful.I almost drove up there with my '70 Chevelle and picked it up. He wanted $1500 for it I would have pulled the heads and intake and put the whole engine in the trunk.I did that quite frequently in the day. I had just started a new job and couldn't get away.I listed the engine in the newsletter, and never heard who got it. It did have boat hardware that came with it,however.Small world out there,sometimes.

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I know it's been a long time since I've posted anything, but I gotta chime in and say thanks for sharing your stories! This is great reading!