Only original W car

348NUT

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
With my new business venture, I've acquired close to 40 58-65s. Only one is an original W engine car. This is my 60 Impala hardtop. The drivetrain is gone, but after researching and looking for clues, I'm confident that it is an original 3x2 348 car with a 4 speed and most likely a posi rearend (since the third member is gone):D I want to at least drop another 348/4speed in it and make it drivable again. I have a set of glass for it and most trim and emblems. I've always wanted a 60 hardtop since I looked at a red one in a vacant lot as a kid with my dad. I could never find where that one went, but now I have two in need of total restoration.:good
NUT
This is the auction where I bought it at. Notice the 348 emblems are mysteriously missing:rolleyes
60Chevy_impala_lf1.jpg60Chevy_impala_rr1.jpg

Carl 1962

Well Known Member
With my new business venture, I've acquired close to 40 58-65s. Only one is an original W engine car. This is my 60 Impala hardtop. The drivetrain is gone, but after researching and looking for clues, I'm confident that it is an original 3x2 348 car with a 4 speed and most likely a posi rearend (since the third member is gone):D I want to at least drop another 348/4speed in it and make it drivable again. I have a set of glass for it and most trim and emblems. I've always wanted a 60 hardtop since I looked at a red one in a vacant lot as a kid with my dad. I could never find where that one went, but now I have two in need of total restoration.:good
NUT
This is the auction where I bought it at. Notice the 348 emblems are mysteriously missing:rolleyes
If you post a photo of the cowl tag, it should contain a code that confirms the size of engine it was fitted with. Cars built at Janesville, Kansas City and Tarrytown didn't contain a code, but all the other Fisher plants did. If you post photos of the cowl tags of all the 60/61s, I can check what engines they were fitted with.

348NUT

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I'm away from my cars now, and they might be under snow when I get back! But that sounds interesting. Almost all my cars are Janesville though.
NUT

62BillT

Well Known Member
I also have one down back with the same color combo but a green interior. Mine came with a 235-6, 3-Speed. The car is exactly like the one in American Graffiti parked at the liquor store.

One more thing about that '60 on American Graffiti. When I first saw it, I listened close to see if I could tell if it was a 6 or a V-8, but the usual pretty accurate George Lucas went and dubbed in a Ford starter, lol.