Only seven known to exist?

DaveFoster

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
What would a Z11 with history, still lettered up in perfect condition just the way it left the westcoast dragstrip the last day it was raced in the 60's be worth? Just heard about one hiding in a garage.

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Hey come on now Dave........... a couple of years ago there was a guy made a few posts about some Z-11's hiding in a basement somewhere.....

............. are you starting a new story ???????:takethat

............ I hope it's true........ boy would that be a real find !!!!!! :):):).......... if that's what you want to ship to Canada I'll meet it at the border, save you the paperwork.

Dave

DaveFoster

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Actually, I just found out about it today, word of mouth from a guy whom I don't think is full of it, if you know what I mean, and I know the guy who used to own it and race it, he's a well known racer from years ago here in Riverside. Sold the car in the late 60's to a guy who watched it race and had to have it. But this guy put it in his garage and suppossedly never opened the door since, I would love to interview this guy and do a story on that car, it's supposed to be the real thing, factory built, aluminum, Z11, west coast racing history. After I mentioned that to my source he couldn't remember the guy's last name anymore, but he knows him well, seen the car, and says this guy is totally protective of this car, knows that only six or seven are around and I should probably forget about ever seeing it. Maybe I should talk to the original owner and get a story about racing the Z11 in it's heyday, maybe he will connect with the guy who bought it nearly fourty years ago. Car is suppossedly mint, I was told more about this car but should keep some of this info off these messageboards if this guy is hiding it. And it all started with me saying "I have a 64 Impala with a 409".

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Just one more to add to my pevees !!!
I just don`t get owning something like that and hiding it,,,
Sick F**K is what he is,,,

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
It's all relative...

I "hide" stuff from my wife all the time, for her own good and for the good of the family :) :) :).

I'm sure this fellow was "preserving" something near and dear to him, and as the owner he can do anything he wants with it. If I owned such a piece of history I would be concerned about security and such, and would keep a close lid on things and their whereabouts.

On the other hand, I see the value in taking them out for a spin as much as possible. People get to see them in action, we get to drive them, lots of fun for everyone!

Cheers!
TomK

P.S. I bet Phil Reed could give you some insight regarding value, as he sees those Z11s from time to time and knows a lot of the oweners...

bobs409

Administrator
I can understand the security issue but I have to say, I'd just have to brag! :roll Everyone I came into contact with would know that I own a Z-11! :D

Although, I might have to sleep in it with an M-16! :eek:

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
There are two "musuem pieces" in my area(Pontiac SD and a L-88) and both owners won't take them out and open the carbs and they are fairly quiet about the cars also. I know I will never be able to own anything like those two cars so I'm not sure what I'd do if I had one.
robert

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
As KOOL as they are, Robert, it's just something else to worry about. Skip

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
there's certainly nothinbg wrong or unusual about wanting to own something like that but, like the dog chasing the car, what do you do with it if you catch it.
For the same reason that I don't want any restored showcars or any more convertibles....all you can do is worry about them or keep them locked up....What fun is that? :dunno

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
If it were mine I'd be running the snot out of it street/strip :stooges Moneys no fun at all unless you can play with it :dunno

Speed

Supporting Member 1
only 7 known to exist is not true........more than that..exist and look good

( most are accounted for is true)

DaveFoster

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
The well known original owner/driver of that 63 Z11, that I wanted to interview about racing the legendary Z11 on the west coast, passed away and will be buried this coming Wednesday in a candy apple red coffin with gold flames here in Riverside.

From his obit; An early champion of the drag racing movement, Mr. Phil Braybrooks helped build the regions hot rodding reputation and pioneered the concept of high-performance parts shops. J & M Speed Center is one of a handfull of local performance shops to survive the era of online auto parts sales. "Phil has been an icon in this business," said Tom Ameduri, owner of Hot Rods in Norco. "He was the first guy out here in the Inland Empire who brought performance parts to an actual storefront". He was famous in the industry and will be missed, Ameduri said.

Phil opened J & M Speed Center in 1962 and apparently went drag racing with a Z11 here on the west coast to help promote his passion and business. I didn't get a chance to talk to him after learning about his 409 racing because of his recent poor health, but did business with him in the past and he knew his cars, any engine, especially rare engines, Muncie transmissions, and anything to do with racing. He just about never missed a chance to buy used flathead stuff and Muncie trans parts at the Pomona swap meet when he was in better health. He has soo many friends here in Riverside that his funeral procession will probably have several hundred hotrods, all of which he supplied many parts for.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
Speaking of driving rare cars. A few years ago I was eating a quick lunch at a McDonalds. Noticed a nice orange 69 Firebird even had the "Judge" type stripes on the fenders at the inspection place next door so walked over. Looked under the hood to see what heads/motor was in it. It was a RAV!! Kind of like seeing a Z-11 in a car. The guy was quite shocked anyone would even know what it was.These were never put in a production car, this car was put together for the brother of Don Gay who owned a local Pontiac dealership.Don drove Pontiac funny cars in the 60s Pretty rare high dollar car. Recently a complete RAV motor sold for 35K!

This guy was brave enough to drive it on the streets here in Houston. A few years ago at the McDonalds got hit by an illegal, no insurance driver. I'd have to trailer that sucker!

That;s why I like my nice drivers, something you can thrash on.

oil4kids

Well Known Member
http://www.pe.com/localnews/sanbernardino/stories/PE_News_Local_N_wobit03.447e695.html

Inland hot rodding pioneer Phil Braybrooks dies at 77 in his Riverside home

Download story podcast

10:00 PM PDT on Saturday, August 2, 2008

By PAIGE AUSTIN
The Press-Enterprise

RIVERSIDE - As he did throughout his life, pioneering hot rodder Phil Braybrooks will go on leaving his mark even in death.

A lifelong hot rodder, a one-time speed-record holder and founder of the landmark J & M Speed Center in Riverside, Mr. Braybrooks will be buried Wednesday in a coffin worthy of a speeding ticket and a man who dedicated himself to high-performance hot rods.

"His coffin is candy-apple red with gold flames on the side," said his wife, Pat Braybrooks. "He loved his hot rods."

Mr. Braybrooks, 77, died with his family in his Riverside home Thursday of congestive lung failure. He is survived by his wife, six children and five grandchildren.

Services are scheduled for 11 a.m. Wednesday at Crestlawn Cemetery, 11500 Arlington Ave.

An early champion of the drag-racing movement, Mr. Braybrooks helped build the region's hot rodding reputation and pioneered the concept of high-performance parts shops. J & M Speed Center is one of a handful of local performance shops to survive the era of online auto parts sales.

"Phil has been an icon in this business," said Tom Ameduri, owner of Hot Rods in Norco. "He was the first guy out here in the Inland Empire who brought performance parts to an actual storefront."

He was famous in the industry and will be missed, Ameduri said.

"Phil had a dry sense of humor and a straightforward manner," Ameduri added. "He spoke his mind and he earned the right to. Phil was here doing it before anybody else."

Born in Orange in 1930, Mr. Braybrooks was hooked on hot rods from the beginning. He took a job in a muffler shop and once had to trade the hood of his car for gas to get to work.

"He told himself then that he was never going to be that poor again," said Pat Braybrooks. "And he was very lucky to have made his fortune doing what he loves."

Mr. Braybrooks served as an aviation mechanic in the Air Force during the Korean War and came home to work at Lockheed Martin until he could save up enough money to open his own muffler shop in 1957, said Pat Braybrooks.

He began selling speed parts on the side and quickly found his side business more profitable than mufflers. He opened a speed shop in 1962 and moved to Riverside's auto mall in 1971.

In recent years, Mr. Braybrooks was inducted into San Bernardino's hot rodding hall of fame, and he received the Dale Earnhardt man of the year award, family members said..

"He worked Monday through Saturday for 50 years and spent his Sundays with his family," said his daughter, Lisa Somody, who now runs the family business.

As much a family man as gear head, Mr. Braybrooks took his children to Knott's Berry Farm on Sundays and planned family vacations full of horseback riding and water-skiing, said his daughter.

He also doted on his grandchildren as much as his hot rods.

"He loved all of his grandchildren," said Pat Braybrooks. "They would all climb into his '29 Roadster and pretend they were at the drive-in, watching movies from the television on his workbench. He will be missed by his family and the industry."

DaveFoster

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
And there is a lot more to Phil than any obit can ever say. He advertised in every car event and gave to every carclub fund raiser he knew about. I did interview him several years ago concerning his daughter and International kart racing, but didn't know at the time, about his Z11 involvement in 1963.

From memory, can't find my notes, although I never throw them away, here's what I remember about that interview, and remember it was many years ago;

I had heard about Phil and his daughter, sorry but I can't remember her name, who had recently either won the U.S. championship or finished very high in the national finals, thus qualifying for the International Kart Championship, which is held at various kart tracks throughout the globe, something like every four years, but I could be wrong on that. This particular year the International Championship was held in Indy and at least two drivers from each country were invited. Germany, Italy, Spain, Russia, etc., etc., arrived early with what was described to me as spotless and perfect professional looking teams with lettered up one ton box vans, leather driver suits with national colors, and a minimum of eight karts per team. All teams had support personnel, mechanics, coaches, trainers, and some even had what appeared to be engineers, not real sure about that though. Phil said all the foreign teams unloaded all eight karts and tested all eight, then loaded the slowest four back in the boxvan, so they could tweak on the other four, both drivers would switch back and forth if they could between karts for better feedback to the mechanics until they had the top two karts dialed in, then both drivers tested these two until it could be determined which driver was fastest in which kart, and then that is who qualified and raced those two particular karts. Phil said there was at least a hundred karts trying to make the World Finals or whatever this special race is called, and most of the foreign teams had been at Indy for several days before he and his daughter arrived, in his Buick stationwagon, with one kart, with a girl driver, and her dad as the mechanic. Phil said he pulled her kart out of the back of the wagon and pulled out his little Sears single handle tool box and the chuckles began, until his daughter hit the track. He had some comments about practice which I can't remember, but I think he said she qualified sixth, and several foreign teams had both drivers missing the cut, thus now making them spectators. I don't remember where Phil said she finished in the main, but do remember what Phil said about some of the European pro's trying to intimidate her only to find out she could outdrive their efforts and they couldn't get close enough after that to try again. Even though I can't remember where she finished, Phil did have to tear down her complete engine as per rules, and he had her engine completely dissassembled and ready for inspection, which she passed, before the other teams could set up their tools. He was loaded up and on his way back to So. Cal. as the other teams were doing their tear down, and trying to figure out "What Just Happened". Just a racer teaching his daughter some of the finer points of having fun behind the wheel. I asked him if all the other teams passed inspection, he said he didn't know and didn't care. By the way, this is the daughter that runs J & M Speed Center now. Sure hope I got most of this correct, and I sure wish I could find those notes, there was much more.