Open Season On Bald Eagles?

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Having murdered a few bald eagles myself flying around Alaska in much the same way, I thought you guys might appreciate seeing what happens when a poor defenseless 160,000 lb airplane is suddenly and viciously attacked by one of these predators. The US Fish and Game actually tried to prosecute me once when I was attacked by one and it put a 2 foot hole in my wing.
The first pic shows the entry point through the pilots's lower side window just by his left knee. The third pic shows what's left after it bounced off one of the many circuit breaker panels to the left of the flight engineer. :eek:
It's a good thing they just came off the endangered species list or these guys would be in big trouble! :nono1: :rolleyes:
:roll

Attachments

• C130EAGLESTRIKE1a.jpg
    C130EAGLESTRIKE1a.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 124
  • C130EAGLESTRIKE3a.jpg
    C130EAGLESTRIKE3a.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 115
  • C130EAGLESTRIKE2a.jpg
    C130EAGLESTRIKE2a.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 124

JIMS409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Sorry Cecil but with all respect to you, C-130 & crew and Eagle...Not the least funny and if anything, quite tragic! Just my opinion and I don't intend to start anything. But C'mon 4th. of July as well...

Respectfuly,

Jim Miller:cry

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Sorry Cecil but with all respect to you, C-130 & crew and Eagle...Not the least funny and if anything, quite tragic! Just my opinion and I don't intend to start anything. But C'mon 4th. of July as well...

Respectfuly,

Jim Miller:cry

Sorry your offended Jim. That was not my intention. I only intended to illustrate the hazards of a less than maneuverable hunk of metal travelling at 200+ Knots encountering another object. This was not posted in the jokes and funnies section although I admit to presenting it in my own feeble attempt at humor in much the same way some people make light of serious issues to help maintain their sanity. Kind of like the motorcycle guys complaining in another thread about hitting bees and bugs while riding. No offense there? Oh yeah, it's only a bug.

Would you be less offended if it were an RPG round or AAA damage? Sh*t happens. Sorry about the eagle,......that's not the point. Some guys have had their heads nearly taken off and others have been permanently blinded by birdstrikes. It doesn't matter if it's an eagle, turkey vulture, gooney bird, or just a hawk,... they can kill you and everyone else who happens to be in the same aircraft. It's not the bird's fault, it's just that two objects can't occupy the same space at the same time.

Ok, my timing was bad. It is the 4th of July and I shouldn't have posted a picture of a dead eagle......instead, think of it as a picture of the military doing their jobs so we can cook hotdogs and not have to be offended by things that really matter.

Ok, I'll lighten up now. I just took my meds.:coffee: :rolleyes:

droptop62

Supporting Member 1
Wow, I am rather amazed at what a bird can do to an aircraft.
I am not offended nor does it matter that it was posted on the 4th of July or any other day.
Sad that nature and mans machines do not co-exist very well together.

Incredible and sad all at the same time.

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
Not offended here either. More of a look what happens everyday kind of thing. Everyone have a great 4 th!

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Not offended here either. More of a look what happens everyday kind of thing. Everyone have a great 4 th!

I agree also no offense taken and have a happy 4th. My "offense" is with trying to prosecute Cecil for a bird strike while flying. I have been on the receiving end of US Fish & Wildlife also for the placement of a water main to an area without water when the species identified by their personel "didn't even live there".:eek: :eek: :evil :evil
Robert

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Hope not to offend but

That's why you just don't screw with the baddest bird in the air "The AMERICAN EAGLE" Second to none proud simbal of the greatest country on earth!

Now if a French sparrow did that to that fine piece of American flying machine well I'd be pissed:grumble:

In the end though it's all about making it back to the ground safely! And were happy you did!

JIMS409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Having murdered a few bald eagles myself flying around Alaska in much the same way, I thought you guys might appreciate seeing what happens when a poor defenseless 160,000 lb airplane is suddenly and viciously attacked by one of these predators. The US Fish and Game actually tried to prosecute me once when I was attacked by one and it put a 2 foot hole in my wing.
The first pic shows the entry point through the pilots's lower side window just by his left knee. The third pic shows what's left after it bounced off one of the many circuit breaker panels to the left of the flight engineer. :eek:
It's a good thing they just came off the endangered species list or these guys would be in big trouble! :nono1: :rolleyes:
:roll

Cecil, I was not as offended as I was disappointed about the timing of the post and the ROLF image used. The American Bald Eagle has always been a source of pride for me and family and I still take off my hat (and tear-up a bit) when the National Anthem is played. And last I checked, AAA and RPG's are not yet the revered symbol of our country when punching through T-6 alloy.

Yes Cecil, I am aware of what can happen having been on declared emergency once due to bird ingestion and I was so scared I sh*t my pants and I don't speak of that horror to much. Many in my family are "Jarheads" and the "Eagle, Globe & Anchor" they proudly wear means a great deal. ANY other bird would have suficed and made the Terminal Ballistic Coefficient of C-130 and flying foul quite interesting...

Must say guys, I didn't figure many would feel as I do so I'll go back to "lurking" once and a while. Again, my feelings-- and it appears my response has stirred up more than the original post. My bad. :hug