Opinions please - 327 (L-79)

RCE1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I have provided earlier posts regarding this engine. The suffix code includes the ZI identification. Cross-referencing ...it came out of a 1966 Chevy II. The textbook horsepower rating was 350Hp with hydraulic lifters and 375Hp with solid lifters. (???) so they say. 2.02 and 1.60 intake and exhaust "fuelie" heads. Some sources say that this is a rare block and a bit of a "find" for a collector restoring a 66' Chevy II.

I still have this engine. It'll be awhile before I get a hold of a 409 and I'm not completely convinced on re-doing the 348 in the recently acquired 62' just yet. I am thinking about extracting the 327 from the old car and tearing it down to see if its still OK.

Thought #1: If it is...part of me would like to keep it as "factory" as possible and go find a 1966 Chevy II project car.

This engine was standard bore when it was installed many years ago. Some "use and limited abuse" since then, plus the car was sitting in a garage for 20 years and a few years after that, outside, under a tarp. Its a good guess that it will need some work.

Thought #2: This engine was great in the first 62' I had. It might be a rush to put the rebuilt version in the most recent 62' until a good 409 engine is found. In the mean time this might be a solution for my need for speed. (This little beast would still pull while reaching near 7,000 rpm). :eek: (Had non-stock Isky anti-pump-up lifters and an earlier "factory" corvette cam installed).

Q#1. If the engine is restorable...how precise...does this engine need to be as far as internals is concerned to be in keeping as a collector type engine?

Q#2. Who really cares? I think if various parts were replaced that actually enhance the engine beyond its stock version...I'd still want it! E.G. lightened pistons, screw-in rocker studs, ARP bolts here and there, but the majority of the engine parts being true plus the external view looking "bang-on stock". Personally, I would prefer it and pay more for the upgraded/enhanced version...but that's just me.

Your opinons would be very much appreciated.

RCE1962

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I say put the L79 in the 62. Great little motor. One thing Im a little confused about is the Isky anti-pump up lifters. I thought the L79 hyd. cam was the "best" hyd. cam GM made up to that time. Wasnt aware of earlier Vette hyd. cam.that would be bigger. But I am not well-versed in old small blocks. I do remember the 350 hp 327 was a dynamite engine. Go for it.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
low on torque

I had a 350hp 327 in my 62 Belair a while back. It was lacking the torque required to move the heavy car (even with 4:11 gears). I installed a 3.75 crank and pistons +30 to make it a 383 and would recommend this to everybody with a small block. The 3.75 stroke makes the small block a killer. The small block with aluminum vette valve covers, high rise and Holley looks right in 60's chevys..

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Go for it!

I would say "go for it" for your current ride, thinking you might want to remove it at some point down the road for a "W". But do it correctly (as I know you will!) and use the upgraded components (fasteners, etc.). Once started it's hard to slow down or draw the line, so have a plan before you begin :).

I have a similar drive train in my '63 Corvette coupe, featuring a 340 horse solid lifter 327. It really revs up quickly, generates plenty of power, but then that is in a lighter vehicle. I like the feel and the performance, and having any V8 four speed car to drive is a blast! I bet you would to. But that Fatblock is quite a difference.

Since the engine is something special, it deserves the proper attention, and I suspect you'll do that good. If I were you, I'd hang on to it, even if it sits on an engine stand in your office after you transplant it for a 409 :) :) :).

That's my opinion!

Cheers,
TomK

Bubbletop Bel-Air

Well Known Member
Bill Jenkins original "Grumpys Toy", the 66 A/S car was powered by that engine and put a real hurt on the 426 hemis running in that class. I had one in a 65 Malibu SS, with 4.10's and a close ratio muncie 4 speed. Not many muscle cars of the era could even give it a good race. Went 12.80's at 102 on 7" cheaters through stock exhaust with the resonators cut off. Didn't quite have the low end of a 250 or 300 horse 327, but mid way in second gear there was no looking back. That's one I would like to have back.

indyjps

i agree the money raised from selling this engine could go a long way towards a 409, if the car is currently set up for a small block just drop in another without modifying too much and put the $ towards what you really want.

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Opinion

Hey RCE1962

The L79 is probably my favorite small block of all time.....:D

IMO, I would keep the L79 for a 66-67 Deuce ......:cool: and
hunt down a 409 for the 62............:cool::cool:

There are several guys here in southern Ontario that may have
good leads for a 409..............:deal

Send me a PM.......

bj:cheers