Opinions Please - New coil springs installed

RCE1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
The coil springs were replaced with the "station wagon" Springs. The overall ride height was raised ±4.0 inches. I have new bias-ply BF Goodrich, 14 X 5 inch tires up front.

I just had a front-end alignment done today and the drive home was a bit odd. The car ran straight alright..but drive over a bump or dip in the road and the car would wobble n' roll somewhat. Didn’t notice it before the new springs were installed.

Any recommendations? Shock replacement?

RCE1962

BROOKLYNSS409

Well Known Member
WOW 4 INCHES! :eek:

(front springs???)

did you really need all that?

what kind of shocks do you have?

NOW you have more up & down travel plus your center of gravity is higher in the front

Bias ply tires do ride different as well. Its really hard to tell.

starsailing1

Supporting Member 1
You mentioned the wobble feel. Just replaced my idler arm for about the 4th time since 73, fixes the wobble every time. Check the play in your steering box also, that can be adjusted, you would notice play in the steering wheel .

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
RCE1962; What brand of coil springs are they? Did you replace all four? I think it might be time for new shocks. Any noise or vibration in the drive line? Car's always look KOOL raised up, but alignment problems and tire wear soon follow. Skip

RCE1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Yep... new springs all the way around. Heavy duty style by Moog.

Not sure what type of shocks I have but now see that they would need to be replaced. :doh So that's the first thing I'll try. Any recommendations for shocks?

There is some play in the steering box but I always thought it was pretty common and possibly as good as it gets, but I will check out the idler arm and steering box adjustment as well.

Thanks guys.

Here is a picture of a rear shock, as well as, various "ride height" photos.

RCE1962

Attachments

• 1962 #25.jpg
    1962 #25.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 117
  • 1962 #24.jpg
    1962 #24.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 195
  • 1962 #6.jpg
    1962 #6.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 134
  • 1962 #8.jpg
    1962 #8.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 129
  • 1962 #7.jpg
    1962 #7.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 124

droptop62

Supporting Member 1
I like it! that looks great.
I have always liked black cars with red interiors, and white cars with the red interior.
The pie crust cheaters are really cool too!

starsailing1

Supporting Member 1
Looks great to me. Really like seeing cars being built like they were raced when new. Fond of cheaters, tires that is!

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
thake the play out

Screw with lock nut on top of the steering box can be adjusted to take some of the play out.

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
she looks like she's sittin fine to me! I agree, take some of the play out of the steering box and replace that idler as well. Car looks nice!

RCE1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Thanks for the advise, as well as, the kind feedback.

This car is a continual "work in progress". Any recommendations regarding shocks? :eek: Check out the driver's side-rear shock!

P. S. The next "improvement" is front and rear glass. Horribly scratched.

RCE1962

Attachments

• 1962 #19.jpg
    1962 #19.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 77

starsailing1

Supporting Member 1
Shocks

Picked up some air shocks for the back in 81, never a problem all the years. Adjust your ride height with full carload when cruising so the slicks don't scrape. Also the old rubber air bags that fit inside the coils from Air Lift, worked well with the cheaters back in the 60's. Period correct!!!! You could give one bag an extra pound or two to preload one spring to give you the correct (equal load) burnout tracks.

RCE1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Good information. :beerbang

I will check out the air bags and the gas shocks.

Much appreciated.

Ron

Dean's 61 bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I like KYB gas shocks --

occasionally i have had one develop leaks but usually while their under warranty and i do like the ride --- by the way that is a beautiful SS and if it is up 4 in. now,looks like the old springs were sagging --- looks good. A suggestion as you probably already know... when adjusting steering box screw, be sure and do it with the box centered and front wheels off ground, just turning the adjustment screw enough to eyeball the play out of the steering box. You don't want to create and drag as the box will start eating itself. I found out the hard way many moons ago... Also if it is a (original) power steering car, you will have to have the engine running which makes it even harder to adjust the box.... just my 2 cents, Dean

scotty t

Supporting Member 1
you said you had bias tires on the front, what did you have on the rear? radials and bias don't mix well! that could be your wobble.

RCE1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Thanks goat boy.

You're absolutely right on the tires. I recall the "don't mix" bias and radials rule, but it seems that the shocks are the offendiing units. Because of the new ride height and the "dead shocks" the new spings and the old shocks are not getting along. The steering box is aggrevating the problem.

Regards,

Ron