Opinions Please - New coil springs installed

BROOKLYNSS409

Well Known Member
thats a really nice looking car. I prefer a lower ride height to help it handle better.

Those shocks in the picture are over-due for replacement.

RCE1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Just to set things straight. I happened to go the shop that ordered and installed the coil spings today. I was originally told that these would be Moog Springs. However, I was told today that these are "Spicer" coil springs. Part Numbers and description provided below. Not sure how they compare to Moog. I've added a link for the first supplier I found on the web..... for reference purposes only.

http://www.rockauto.com/dbphp/mfr,SPICER

SPICER Part # 5891001 {Sold in Pairs -- Professional Grade / Inside Diameter=3.65" Wire Diameter=.718" Free Height=17.12" Load height=11.25"}
Rear Heavy Duty; 4 Dr. Station Wagon; 6 Passenger

$62.79 $0.00 $62.79

SPICER Part # 5851006 {Sold in Pairs -- Professional Grade / Inside Diameter=3.81" Wire Diameter=.69" Free Height=16.89" Load height=11.81"}
Front; Air Conditioning; SS

$66.79 $0.00 $66.79

RCE1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
The 62' has been sitting since this thread started. I haven't much time to follow up on some of the recommendations. But.....I did find an older thread, on this forum, about original Delco shocks that I thought was interesting.

From what I've read on this thread..the factory shocks are the "spiral" type with black being factory original...however, the grey coloured shocks being the early or "follow-up" replacements.

Although these are reported to be inferior to the newer technology ...
at this point ...I'm curious. Are there any reproduction, or NOS, suppliers that may be "out there" for these older style shocks??

http://www.348-409.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10963&highlight=spiral

Ron

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
If you left the rear at original height and raised the front 4 inches, (to give the car that drag look), you will in straight lines and on flat roads go really well.
your problem, even if all the other components are in good condition, is bump steer. If you look at the angle of your bottom wishbone and the steering drag links they will have quite a steep angle. Every time you go over a bump the drag links will want to straighten causing the wobble, At ride height the drag links should be in a neutral position to allow the suspension to travel the same arc up and down.

by the way arse down front up looks great.;)

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Brian: I looked at those shocks because of my 61. Then I looked at where they are located. They are in the backyard of one of our respected members who has a "fleet" of 61's so I suspect that he already has them:roll
robert.
You gonna drive your car up this way to visit the relatives at the family reunion this summer:D:D

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Shocked

Ron: Eckler's LGC has a front spiral shock, in their catalog, (521169) very close to look and size to the original spiral shocks.:dunno Very pricey though, at $ 99.99 a pop.:doh There is a mention of modifications, to make them fit 58-64 Chevys.:eek: For that price, NO mods should have to be made. Skip:)

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
"Brian: I looked at those shocks because of my 61. Then I looked at where they are located. They are in the backyard of one of our respected members who has a "fleet" of 61's so I suspect that he already has them"

I'm watching them but ain't no way I'll pay $500 for a pair of shocks. You can have'm
:)