Opinions Wanted Please

SteveD409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
1911 being the date of the .45 Auto I have to ask--are you a shooter or maybe a collector?
Tried to contact you by email but you are shut out.

SteveD

good guess, shooter, ipsc etc... licensed gunsmith when time allows, certified instructor, blah blah.

Bubbletop Bel-Air

Well Known Member
Hard to beat the 1911 for knockdown power and reliability. Shame on the US Military for trading it in on a girly 9mm. John Browning can be proud though that the Ma Deuce .50 caliber is still going strong. Nothing beats gunboat diplomacy, air superiorty, overwhelming firepower.

oil4kids

Well Known Member
got it right

tmracing62 said:
Show him what is right with some pictures. Maybe Isky or Comp Cams could help you out. Tell him he cheated you. Walk away. Save your money and use it to have a responsible builder go through the engine and make it all right.

TM these are good words to live by- be better then them and walk away

Bungy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
And all this time I thought 1911 was for the first year of Chevrolet.

brisbane47

Well Known Member
Bubbletop Bel-Air

BT, At last a voice of reason, you are correct on the replacement of the 1911 with the pu--y 9mm. Will they let you touch a 50cal in California?? I thought the "Terminator" had outlawed them in civilian hands. I know, I am getting off the subject!! Dan, I will talk to Isky today, and you can get with JJ later in the week to look at the geometry of the valve train. JJ can bring the heads back to my shop and you and your dad can come pick them up when they are finished. It is important that he looks at the pushrod length, I need to know why the guy used longer pushrods with stock length valves. Hitman

b-d409

Well Known Member
Guideplates are in.

Hitman,

I'll give JJ a call and set up a time to meet with him. The guideplates are in.

Thanks, Dan

brisbane47

Well Known Member
Isky camshaft:

Dan, the camshaft you have appears to be ground from the Isky H-391 master pattern. The only difference is the rocker arm ratio. When configured for the 409 style 1.7 the lift is .549. With the BBC 1.75 the lift would be .565. So everyone is right here, the camshaft is correct, just a matter of numbers. I would assume they gave you 1.75 BBC rockers, so tell JJ that when you see him. See Ya, Hitman

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Rockers?

I'm sure you know this but the 409 ratio is 1.75 and the BB Chevy rocker is 1.7 or 1.72. Slow down dude ! :D

brisbane47

Well Known Member
Fatride:

I have been using Isky Blue BBC rockers for so long I just put that 1:75 number out there. I do know that almost every other company uses the 1:70/1:72 ratio. I guess my point to him was it had nothing to do with the camshaft. I know I can count on you guys to keep me straight on these things....I have too much to do! See ya, Hitman

brisbane47

Well Known Member
Cam bearing:

Dan I got your message about the rear cam bearing, it does not surprise me at all. I was going to ask JJ to check that too, but I have not heard from him, maybe he got a shot of electricity climbing around that high in the air on wooden poles..I hope not. Hitman

brisbane47

Well Known Member
Cylinder heads:

Dan, I am glad John had a chance to look at your engine, he tells me that the guy had put in shorter pushrods.....That is amazing to me. Anyway , the reason we call him JJ is that my brother's name is also John, and to avoid confusion my daughter started calling him John John..The problem is, we never shared that information with him...hahaha. I will send you a pm about when to bring the heads. Hitman

b-d409

Well Known Member
New update

Thanks Hitman. I'll wait to hear from you.

Here's and update for the rest of you.

Hitmans friend 1911 was nice enough to take a drive over and check out our engine. The main concern was the rocker arm geometry. The new guide plates corrected the problem.

The short checked out great for the most part. My dad noticed the rear cam bearing was installed wrong when the cam was out to identify it, but that will be corrected this weekend. No big deal.

We are also going the check the valve to piston clearance this weekend.

Hitman will get the heads after that, and he is going to set up the proper seals, springs, locks and retainers.

Other than a few minor details after that, it's time to assemble, install and fire her up. (I know it's not quite that easy, but it sounds good and we're heading in the right direction now) :brow

I'll keep everyone posted.

Dan

ketters55

I have a 62........348 truck motor that i'm going to rebuild how far can i bore it out ? can i go 60 over? this motor came out of C-80 over head cab truck, it has a four barrel carb manifold and it ran before i took it out.
I'm want to use it for the 34 ford coupe high boy hot rod i'm building..........not a high priced street rod a old fashion hot rod.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

cylinder cases vary in thickness due to core shift, etc... if you want to know how far your cylinders can safely be overbored than have the walls sonic checked, the machine shop will then advise you of your options.

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Welcome to the site Ketters55. :cheers I'm no expert but after being on this site for a few years I've seen that alot of guys have bored there 348s to .060 without a problem. So there shouldn't be any problem but you could get it tested like 1911 said if you want to be on the safe side. That engine will look really cool in a 34. :clap

brisbane47

Well Known Member
Cylinder heads:

Dan, your heads should be completed by Friday, I will have John call you with information about the parts, and when you can pick them up. Hitman