orginal engine ?The engine

smithd7

Well Known Member
The engine in my '61 bubble top is a 348, how do I find out if this is an orginal 348 car? The block has been decked thus no numbers on the pad. It has the 3/8 fuel line but how do I tell if it is routed right?

:dunno :dunno

bobs409

Administrator
If you want to try to find out if the engine could be original to the car, you could compare all the date codes to the cars build date on the cowl tag.

All engine parts and block casting dates would have to precede the cars build date. Block, heads, intake, exhaust, etc all have these casting dates on them.

It wouldn't prove beyond a doubt if they are dated properly but if all the date codes are past the cars build date, that would prove it's NOT original.

Of course, this is only useful in finding out if the engine is original the car.

SteveD409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Though the numbers have been milled off there is a chance that they can be brought back up. I have read that though the physical indentations have been removed that there is some kind of process (acid etch?) that can bring back 'impressions' in the metal that is still there, but invisable to the eye. It probably depends on how deep they milled.

SteveD