Out for the season

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Was planning to join James and Nathan in their 4 hour trek to MO-Kan for a Friday night test-n-tune but wasn't able to join up with them at this time.

Been dealing with an issue in my left leg for months now, which shows up as a bit of knee pain as I make my way through the day with various tasks (mowing, painting, wrenching, etc.). I've been zipping home for lunch every day to ice my left side, which makes it feel better. It took me a while to improperly diagnose what I thought was something wrong with my left knee.

My Orthopaedic Doc figured it out right quick, deteriorating hip. A nerve in the left hip actuated the left knee, making it seem ike my knee was the issue. Been dealing with that all Fall and Winter, and it got progressively worse. Got a steroid shot in the hip about 2 months ago and wow! did that resolve the problem, albeit temporarily. That and some Xrays confirmed the location of the deterioration (left hip). So we set a date for surgery, July 6th for a total hip replacement Looking forward to getting things fixed right and do the rehab properly. Problem is the pain is worsening as we approach the date for surgery. Last week I took on a new med and while it relieves the pain there were side effects. So a visit to the Dr. advises me to back off my physical activities until the surgery date, and then to focus on the rehab in July, August and into September.

Some of you might have noticed I've been playing with a new toy, but now that I now I have another deadline (July surgery) I will likely back off for a bit to prep for July. The good news is that all will be well after rehab, but it will take the rest of the summer to get back to full bore. That rules out travel for the time being. I really thought Bowling Green was in my sights, now that has changed :(.

For those of you who attend BG, have a great time and be safe. James will be accompanied my Nathan and they will represent the BA409 for that event. We have a few others planned throughout the season, but I won't be able to join them.

Don Jacks and Bryan Fugate, we're still bringing those parts out for you to BG. Mark, I'm still good for those T shirts, James will connect up with you for that order. And Shan, I'll have James check that fiberglass bumper out :).

Cheers!

TomK

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Tom check into robotic hip replacement. My wife's friend had it done walking next day. with hardly any pain. She is doing great. Robotic arm is the best way. My sister in law had knee replacement also. You should not be out that long. They do this in Kansas city ,but sure your area has it also.

FS560

Well Known Member
I had no sore knees prior to total hip replacement on the right side. There has been no hip pain since the morning before the hip surgery. Walked to the bathroom the evening after surgery and walked around the ward multiple times the next day with the walker of course. Then the next morning, I went up and down a few stairs and went home.
After two weeks on the walker, I walked across the surgeon’s waiting room without the walker.
Never any pain, the only way I know the titanium hip is there is that I have seen the x-ray. The hip replacement was 5 years ago now.
I had some soreness in my right foot that finally went away but now have two sore knees for a while now. Probably related to the 3/8 inch difference in leg length that was corrected with the hip replacement. Maybe also to do with sitting in an office too much.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Good luck Tom, your story sounds all too familiar. hope you have a good doctor and all turns out well as it does for most.
Unfortunately for me, the hip surgery was performed incorrectly and it has been a two year nightmare . Just saying, make sure you have a good doctor

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Thanks for the good wishes. I am not overly concerned with the surgery or the rehab, I did both knees at the same time six years ago and some how survived :). The key is to have a great surgeon and to follow the rehab precisely. My particular Orthopaedic surgeon is the best in town, he's part of a private Orthopaedic Group that works out of one of the many great hospitals we have here in town. He did Barb's hip 10 years ago and has a ZERO infection rate. He surrounds himself with the best and commands respect among his staff. He agreed to take my case on after close inspection of all vitals and requested "clearance" from my Dentist, my General Practitioner, my Cardiac Doctor, etc. He won't operate within 90 days of me having that cortico steroid shot. Won't operate if you have any wounds, cuts, scrapes, etc. Real particular, which is good.

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Good luck with everything Tom...:pray...I'm fighting the same demons along with a severe sciatic nerve issue.
As fas as the hip I'm doing therapy now but will probably have a replacement soon....:confused
This getting old really sucks....:rolleyes.....and Bob your turn is coming ........:rub

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Was planning to join James and Nathan in their 4 hour trek to MO-Kan for a Friday night test-n-tune but wasn't able to join up with them at this time.

Been dealing with an issue in my left leg for months now, which shows up as a bit of knee pain as I make my way through the day with various tasks (mowing, painting, wrenching, etc.). I've been zipping home for lunch every day to ice my left side, which makes it feel better. It took me a while to improperly diagnose what I thought was something wrong with my left knee.

My Orthopaedic Doc figured it out right quick, deteriorating hip. A nerve in the left hip actuated the left knee, making it seem ike my knee was the issue. Been dealing with that all Fall and Winter, and it got progressively worse. Got a steroid shot in the hip about 2 months ago and wow! did that resolve the problem, albeit temporarily. That and some Xrays confirmed the location of the deterioration (left hip). So we set a date for surgery, July 6th for a total hip replacement Looking forward to getting things fixed right and do the rehab properly. Problem is the pain is worsening as we approach the date for surgery. Last week I took on a new med and while it relieves the pain there were side effects. So a visit to the Dr. advises me to back off my physical activities until the surgery date, and then to focus on the rehab in July, August and into September.

Some of you might have noticed I've been playing with a new toy, but now that I now I have another deadline (July surgery) I will likely back off for a bit to prep for July. The good news is that all will be well after rehab, but it will take the rest of the summer to get back to full bore. That rules out travel for the time being. I really thought Bowling Green was in my sights, now that has changed :(.

For those of you who attend BG, have a great time and be safe. James will be accompanied my Nathan and they will represent the BA409 for that event. We have a few others planned throughout the season, but I won't be able to join them.

Don Jacks and Bryan Fugate, we're still bringing those parts out for you to BG. Mark, I'm still good for those T shirts, James will connect up with you for that order. And Shan, I'll have James check that fiberglass bumper out :).

Cheers!

TomK
Tom , My left hip was replaced 3 years ago. It went surprisingly well .After 4 weeks in rehab I went home with a walker and 2 weeks later I was walking with minimal pain that gradually went away.I don;t travel by plane so the doctor told me I didn't have to get an airport certificate to pass through security. Hope your hip goes as well as mine did. Just do ,as your surgeon says Best of luck.
:pray
:crazy:cheers.