Overdirve thoughts !!

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I have a five speed (overdrive) Trans from a 1995 Silverado 4X2. I got to thinking about putting it into the BelAir, because I really need overdrive, so that I can cruise the highways ?

Just a thought at this point. What would it take and does it make any sense ?:scratch I did a couple of searches and didn't find anything, so if this has been posted before, guide me forward !!! :cheers

Thanks
Bill

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
If it were me (just my opinion) I would steer away from that type of transmission. Mainly from an original-looking stand point. That long, truck shifter will look kinda funny comming out of the center of your floor hump. It might also be a little too far forward and hit the dash. A friend of mine put an S-10 5-speed in his 58 and the shifter just looks out of place.

I went down this road before and I've looked at the options:

From my measurements a gear vendors won't work. Not enough room behind the trans.

There's the tremec 5 speed. Pretty expensive and you have to modify the trans tunnel quite a bit.

There is the OD gear sets for the muncie 4-speed. I believe PVS409 has one. Wayne Euper built it for him. Less expensive than the 5-speed and you can use existing bellhousing and shifter. No mods to floor. I believe you need a trans with a 1" countershaft for the gears to work.

What I did: I found an NP440 trans from an early 80s full size chevy pick up. Same length as a muncie, mount is in the same spot, all aluminum, same gear ratios as a 700R4 (3.06, 1.56, 1.0, .73), uses external shifter linkage. I had to get a truck bellhousing (trans has larger bearing retainer) and a block-mount starter, if you don't already have one. Here is a link to the thread I posted about my swap. http://www.348-409.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10297

Best of luck!!

Ross

oil4kids

Well Known Member
the New Process 440 comes in 2 designs one with a chrysler type front pattern and one with a muncie type bolt pattern, both have the same gears and has a simular bearing to the hemi trans design