Paint Aluminum Heads

hrlykngt

Well Known Member
Who has painted Aluminum Edelbrock Heads? How have they held up? While I know they are Edelbrock, would like my engine compartment to look more stock type than have shiny head sitting there. Anybody done this, have pictures of after a few years? I see em painting LS motors on TV on the shows, not sure they daily drive em, I would guess Epoxy Prime and Automotive paint? Thanks, Harley

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
What are you going to do about the Edelbrock script/logo engraved into the end of the head?
Jeff

hrlykngt

Well Known Member
Not worried about that as much as just don’t want to see the aluminum, do know have seen folks use metal filler and similar to hide. Have to look not sure if they are engraved or have bolt holes both ends, could be didn’t think to check.

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Not worried about that as much as just don’t want to see the aluminum, do know have seen folks use metal filler and similar to hide. Have to look not sure if they are engraved or have bolt holes both ends, could be didn’t think to check.
The pair I have have both.
Jeff

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I'll be doing this on my rebuild. I thought someone on here filled the engraving with JB Weld.
I suppose one could do that. I would be tempted to just machine the .015/.025 off of the end to "erase" the engraving. The only thing it will effect is generator/alternator bracket alignment and the occasional AC bracket alignment. As long as the belts are for those it probably won't be an issue. Plus one could always shim those back out. Machine off one end only, leave the other end alone, then one could always turn them end for end and have "Eddy's again!
Jeff

Dä Huäbär

Well Known Member
If you install aluminum heads in Switzerland, there is no registration as a veteran vehicle. That's why I had my Bob Walla aluminum heads first mill so that the logo was gone. Afterwards, the milling cutter recreated the sprues, like the original heads. I then spent half an hour structuring the smooth surface with a pointed hammer. Finally painted and it's good. Shitty Swiss laws....

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240228_155606_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240228_155606_Gallery.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 41
  • Screenshot_20240228_160601_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240228_160601_Gallery.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 41