Paint blistering on the roof on a 1958 Impala

Impala Steve

Well Known Member
I am noticing on the right side of the roof scallop the paint is starting to blister. I chipped it off no rust just black paint primer sealer I guess. Do you recommend to have the entire roof re-painted or just spot paint. Has anyone on here run into this situation?

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
If it just in one spot were blister is maybe wasn't wiped clean before paint and prepped correct. I would get that area prepped and touched in if you have the paint code and try that . If it holds and no other areas blister it is done. If more blistering comes in other places then yes probably have to repaint whole roof.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Repaint or original? That area sounds like it may be a leaded joint there, if so it's kind of common for paint to blister at lead joints. If so strip bare is the only solution. Pictures of defect area would help

WENGINE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Bad prep in that area, incompatible paint/primer if it were something under the prime/sealer I would think the primer would also have bubbled. Do you know what it was painted with, how old is the paint. You could try a touch up and then keep a eye on it to see if it blisters anywhere else

Impala Steve

Well Known Member
Bad prep in that area, incompatible paint/primer if it were something under the prime/sealer I would think the primer would also have bubbled. Do you know what it was painted with, how old is the paint. You could try a touch up and then keep a eye on it to see if it blisters anywhere else
It was painted PPG Omni Plus Brazen Orange Metallic with PPG Clear. Primer/Sealer brand unknown. Car painted in 2017.

WENGINE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
And you’re not seeing any other spots on the car effected after 5-6 years it may just be that spot. No guarantee but it could be just that area that didn’t get cleaned properly, a little oil, grease that didn’t get cleaned before it got shot even the oil from your fingers could do the trick. I would try a touch up if you can, custom colors are difficult to replicate. If you have some of the original paint that would help but you must follow the same procedure used originally. Prime/sealer,color and clear