Paint question and water pump?

ok I was looking at the engine bay colors it seems that most of the stuff is semi gloss black for 1964, but what color were the TIE RODS ? Also dose any one know of a manufacture of a high flow water pump? I mean I know all these W's run hot but whats the best way to run them cooler other than aluminum rad, an electric puller fan. Thanks in advance

Ps: wheres the next convention

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
64409, You can view thread on 348-409 engines, titled CRW water pump-disected. Everything one needs to know about cooling is in that thread. Good luck.

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
GOOD LUCK! Like Ronnie said.:clap Those are the correct words. Hope you have a speed reader.:roll Skip:)

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
cooling problem?

I think that the problem is expecting a 40 year old 283 radiator to cool the transplanted Hi Performance 409 engine. Good engineering and parts selection will not cause you to have a cooling problem with the stock waterpump. Proper sized radiator, correct timing and proper sized jetting and a working fan is about 95% of the cure.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
The biggest cooling change I have found is checking that the fan blades are half in and half out of the cooling shroud. 2nd is that the timing and advance(vacuum) is correct. 3rd making sure the fan clutch is working correctly.

The rest are small gains but I would also recommend reading CRW water pump in the 348-409 engines section. BUT take a weekend off to read and "absorb" it