Paint type

Hi All
I need to detail the underhood area of my 1960 Impala.
Does anyone know what black color paint I should use to do the Wheel wells/ and firewall Flat ? Semi Gloss? Gloss? and what Brand names are readily available in the stores
Thanks Mike:confused: :confused:

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Some suggestions

Mike:

This is an interesting subject :)

First question: Are you trying to be "factory correct" or are you just interested in "cleaning her up"? If just cleaning her up (I call this the "DuPont approach") you can use whatever you think looks good. If you are going for a factory finish you might want to study your auto a bit more to determine the correct "sheen" for your year.

I am not certain about the 1960 year, but my 62 is getting this treatment as we speak. I have the front clip removed and disassembled, so that should make things a bit easier. The black under the hood has been referred to as both "semi-gloss" and "semi-flat" black.

Here's how I matched the color for my '62:

I have a buddy restoring a 1964 GTO and he has a very detailed book with all the colors and their codes linked. His is a factory correct car. His engine bay looks to be the same semi-XXXX black as my 1962. So I copied the paint code from his book, went down to the paint store and showed them what I had. Then we mixed a gallon of that color up (it had a lot of blue tint as I recall) in the same line of paint as I am painting the body (PPG single stage).

So we chose a gallon of PPG "Concept DCC", an acrylic urethane, two component product. We are using a reducer and a hardener. It's basically an exterior paint mixed to have that semi-flat/gloss black look. Cost was around $160 a gallon. I am not going for "factory perfect", just "really good driver", and I want this to wear well. Hence the 2K mixture with hardener. A bit more expensive than spray cans, but when you drool on it, your stomach acids won't wear off the semi-flat shine :) I wanted the inside of the engine bay to hold up under tough conditions, like fluids and dropping wrenches, and so forth :)

Hope this helps. Sorry i don't have that code right near me or I would pass it along. I can get it, but it's 25 miles away.

I'm sure others will have equally good suggestions!

Best,
TomK

Rockfish39

Supporting Member 1
Going Cheap

Tom has the right approach, no doubt about it ... but Tom has deeper pockets than I do too :p

Eastwood Company sells Semi-Gloss Black Underhood and Chasis Paint in the spray can variety.

Works just fine if youre building on a budget....

:cool:

Thanks

Tom and Rock
Thanks for the reply,I would like to go factory correct but am on somewhat of a budget. I've heard of Eastwood Co. and their paints are supposed to be a good match to correct.
I'll order some and see how it looks, if not there goes my budget. Thanks again
Mike:)

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
60 ragtop,
Remember that a 60 firewall was originaly body color. Just a tip but whatever type paint you decide to use, use different shades of black (different degrees of gloss), it'll make a big difference. I use a 60% gloss on the inner fenders, more gloss on the radiator support and 100% gloss on the radiator and fan shroud. I use PPG 9300 gloss black and mix flattner to create whatever gloss I want. If you go with spray cans, just use different brands, none are the same gloss.

Thanks real61ss

Thanks for the response
Good idea about the varied shades I think i'll try that.
Thanks Again
Great site
Nice Guys
Thanks Mike

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Good suggestions

Mike, you are getting some good advise. Especially about the different degrees of "flatness" or "gloss". Think about how the General made these -- subcontractors made various assemblies, painted them locally, then shipped them for final assembly (soemtimes aruond the corner, but nevertheless, different painting facilities).

I used the Eastwoord Chassis Black on the frame of my '62SS just last month. I think the final result looks good. I am hoping that it will be durable as well. The way I figure things, the most visible parts that are not exerior finished parts are under the hood and the front suspension. I am trying to do my best in those areas. Hence the more expensive paint (a gallon should go a long way, and I have several projects) and the use of hardener. I want it to look good after I spill oil and gas all over the fender wells :)

I have not used Eastwood's underhood paint, but I hope you are happy with your results. Please yourself first!

Cheers,
TomK