painting chassis with oil based paint?

fastcars

Well Known Member
Hi again guys. Several weeks back I sandblasted, and painted my chassis. I used ACE hardware oil based paint primer and oil based gloss black paint. Just recently I was asked if it would be resistant to gas, or carb cleaner and even motor oil but I wasnt sure. I thought it would be but I cant find any info on that. Any of you know if its chemically resistant? I would really hate to have remove that paint and redo it but I will if I have to.

bobs409

Administrator
Find a hidden spot and try rubbing it with gas on a rag. The only other thing that might hurt it would be brake fluid.

I'm in the process of using SEM semi gloss chassis paint on my 63 frame. I sprayed it inside the new wheel wells and upper trunk floor and it looks great. Supposed to be tough and the gloss looks correct.

Bob

fastcars

Well Known Member
I really wanted to use EMRON but I cant get it here in California. I'll take your advise and rub some gas on the chassis and see what happens. It would really suck if I had to redo it. Anyone know what other states sell Emron? I have 2 more chassis I need to do.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Try the heavy truck dealers, like Freightliner. That's what they always painted them with.

Don

gbafus

Well Known Member
Conventional brake fluid (not silicone) will damage most any type of painted finish. Gasoline usually doesn't, if the paint is fully cured.
Slosh a little gas on the side of your car when filling up, no problem. Drip a drop of brake fluid on a fender while you're topping off the master cylinder......UH OH!!!!!!

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Peterbilt's are also painted with Imron. What you want is Imron 5000. I'm sure you could get some from a Peterbilt dealer that has a body shop.

Dave

FARO72CS

Well Known Member
Paint

Peter built chassi paint is good, but they bake it on at 800 degrees for quite some time, if you want a good job BAKE IT ON.:coffee:

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I haven't painted anything with Imron for a few years so the formula may be different now but it was a little hard to work with. It's quite toxic and very slow drying but once it's cured it's really tough and the color doesn't fade. It's also pretty expensive.
We just painted the Mack chassis with Magnet brand Chassis Saver paint. http://www.magnetpaints.com/underbody.asp I've never used POR paint but I think this stuff is similar. It's a little different than regular paint to work with but it's as tough as nails. Once it's cured you can barely scratch it and it bonds well to the metal, no primer needed. I'm not sure how resistant it is to chemicals and solvents but we have use it before and I haven't noticed any problems.
I think the ACE oil based paint should be reasonably resistant to gasoline etc. once it's fully cured but I've noticed that the new "Ethanol enhanced" gasolines are pretty good at dissolving paint.:?

309523.jpg

309541.jpg

309540.jpg