Pantom 409

61belairbubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Jim,

Thanks for sharing that. Really neat article.

I wonder if that trailer with the "W" engine display is the one I've heard
about that Tony Shaffer's brother owns ?

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Great article.:clap :clap It's about time somebody let the facts be known.:deal Nice going Phil.:clap Skip:)

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Great article!

That was some article, wasn't it?

I even learned a lot from reading it (like how many 409s were made for over-the-counter purchases in 1962). Many of the more prominent racing legends were well represented as well.

If I had a sudden lack of computing ethics, I'd hack into that Mopar guy's website and substitute this link for his poorly researched BS :) :): ).

Cheers!
TomK

P.S. Yes, that looks like Donnie Schaffer's trailer full of "W"s. I think he has two trailers with all the various 409s on them, including a 1961 engine and the 1963 Z-11 engine complete with air cleaner :). I remember he said he was also working on a trailer full of 348 combinations. Might need two there as well, as I learned the 348 was the most oft set of combinations over it's short run (not including the so-called truck engines past 1961, when the 409 was introduced).

Jims Phantom story is in this months magazine

I got the March issue a couple days ago... Been combing cover to cover, over and over again. I can't find the Phantom:dunno
Then again, the way things have been going lately, I probably ended up with a copy that has those pages torn out:grumble:

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I've been away for a few days, I'm guessing my car's in the April edition.:beerbang
I'll have to start checking the news stand so I can get a copy as soon as it comes in.:deal

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Since the magazine is out, surely the secrets are not neccessary any longer. Can someone comment on what happened? Car count, who was there, e.t. s ?

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Since the magazine is out, surely the secrets are not necessary any longer. Can someone comment on what happened? Car count, who was there, e.t. s ?

Ronnie, They didn't have enough cars to do a proper shootout but they let me know that ahead of time. I decided to go ahead and go down any way because I had planned the trip as a sort of holiday. There were a couple of cars from that end of the country that were going to come until it became clear that there wouldn't be anyone for them to run against. (I think one of them runs in the nines)
There were only three of us there. Gordon (hogmotors) had a 64 Biscayne with a stock stroke 409, I think he ran about 10.78 in the time trials.:scratch And Jim's 61 ran high 14's which was pretty good considering the car has never been to the track. I only got two passes out of the 55 before the tranny started to slip. My best pass was 10.75
My tranny's in at the local race transmissions guy right now. He says it's nothing serious but while it's apart he'll make it stronger. I'm also getting a looser convertor so I'm hoping to go a little quicker next year.
I think it would be cool to do a 409 Shootout but it would take a little organization. A guy like Doug Marion could get the job done.:cheers