Parking lights problem

zootzee

Well Known Member
OK here is my newest problem. I'm sorry to keep picking your minds but I am stuck one more time.
So I have no power to the parking lights. I have checked the purple wire for power at the fire wall plug, nothing. I checked the purple wire power at the light switch nothing. I do get power at the purple wire on the steering column wires. At the hlf moon connection the purple wire flashes with the turn signal on. Same with the green wire at the steering column half moon connection I have power, but at the light switch no power on the green wire. I know this has to be pretty simple but I cn't figure where I am missing it. I am sure that the purple and green wire coming down the steering column is the same that goes to the light switch but why no power?
I must seem like a pain to some of you guys, but to be honest I have put hours into these things before I post. I do really relly appreciate the jelp I get from you guys.

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
If you don't have power coming out of the headlight switch, it must be bad. You will only have power to the park lights in the first position, not in the second position with the headlights on. Do the tail lights work in both positions?

jwhotrod

Supporting Member 1
parking lights

I dont think the color code has changed thru the years, GM colors have been pretty consistant.

Here goes nothing.

The purple wire you refer to should be the turn signal feed from the flasher up into the steering column, the green and yellow wire in the column are the left and right turn feeds to the tail lights. You should also have a dark blue and light blue at those half moon switch in the column that are your front right and left turn feeds to your front lights.

That purple wire should not go to your headlight switch. You should have a dark brown wire or 2 at your headlight switch wich are the feeds for both your tail lights and your front park lights if you have dual element bulbs in front.

The yellow and green wires are connected at rest in the steering column against the brake feed at mechanical rest so your brake lights work, that feed should be white (cold side of the brake switch) when you switch a turn signal on there is a rocker that forces the correct tail and front contact over against the turn feed post and disconnects that side tail post from the brake feed.

I hope that helps, if you are looking for park light power look for dark brown wires going forward, there will be no power in the dk and light blue turn wire unless the turn switch is activated.

Big jim

zootzee

Well Known Member
I didn't try to see if there is power in the first position. I had the switched pulled all the way out. I do have perfect power in the rear tail lights and they flash perfectly.

Big Jim
The purple wire tht follows down the column has the power and so does the green. They both flash when I hit the turn signal lever.

I do have dual element bulbs in the front and back. I looked at the wires tht go to the parking lights nd they are purple and (blue I think) but when do they go to brown?

I am still very confused???

jwhotrod

Supporting Member 1
wiring

As I said, the purple wire should be the feed for the turn signals from the flasher up to the switch. So it will flash when the turn signal lever is actuated in either direction. The green wire should only flash when it is actuated in one direction and I think it is left, I dont remember. yellow is one side rear and green is the other.

The turn signals in front are lt blue and dark blue.

In current terms the front "park lights" should be a brown wire same as the tail lights. I do not know for sure that your car is that way but as I say GM does not change those kind of things very often.

Hope this helps.

Big Jim

zootzee

Well Known Member
Thanks Big Jim
I hope I get get a chance to look at it tomorrow or the next day. I'll let you know if I made any ground.