Parts availability?

Ragtop

Just got my first 409 and haven't been able to do anything with it yet due to moving to a new home and building a new shop, but I'm wondering where the best place would be to get parts. I understand I can use a small block flexplate and harmonic balancer, but I'm going to need an oil pan (not a numbers correct car) a distributer, water pump, timing chain, cover and gasket sets etc. plus whatever it needs for a rebuild - probably pistons, definitely a cam, etc. Any help would be appreciated.

bobs409

Administrator
We have a list of vendors at the top of this page for most of those parts: http://www.348-409.com/links.html Some places offer a rebuild kit that can save you money.

The flexplate will work as long as it's a 168 tooth 14 inch but I believe the balancer's timing mark may be in the wrong place. (I'll be corrected if I'm wrong on that) :D

The oil pan is going to be a used only item so our classifieds or ebay is a good place to try.

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Parts

You can still get re-built water pumps for 348-409 at the parts store here in Texas (about $60.00 exchange-don't know how much a core charge is)
You can use the s. b. blancer, but get a adjustible timing pointer, that bolts to the timing chain cover, then find top dead on #1 cylinder and set the pointer to the grove on the blancer. This is what I did (you should have the engine blanced).
Crane and Isky have off the shelf cams and Comp will grind one for you. Be careful about buying the timing chain. Some will sale you a double roller chain as a high proformance chain, but is really for a truck engine and the gear is retarded. This happen to me several years ago. Try to buy your parts from folks that know these engines. GOOD LUCK!!

W Head

59 El Camino 348-3X2
59 Impala 409 2X4 4-speed

biscaynewagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Hey Ragtop,

Try to contact Aubrey / CDNpontiac409guy he is a well knowlage member here and he is located in Hanna, Alberta.
He has a good source for those parts, and he has his own piston design for stock or stroker options, good opinion about cam too.

check www.bruneauperformance.ca

Ragtop

Just found a 348 too. Would the timing chain, distributor, oil pan etc, fit my 409? Thanx for all the replies -

bobs409

Administrator
The oil pan will fit but the dipstick will be on the wrong side. 348 is on the driver side, 409's are on the passenger side. Distributor will fit. Timing chain? Are we talking used? I would just get a new one for the low cost of them.