Paul from MA

PSmith1

Hi to all:

New to this and have an interest in selling a near complete 409, but everybody has a story. My brother and I were both Chevy enthusiasts, following the NHRA Stock and Super Stock circuit in Division 1 for a couple of decades. The last car my brother raced was a 60 BelAir 4-dr, 283/170 HP in U/SA, it was parked in 2000 or so, his NHRA permanent number was 1409.
Along the way we picked up some 409 parts; the first "score" was set of 690 heads, ex manifolds (1961/2 castings) in 1975 or so. Joe kept at the parts acquisition thru work as GM parts man, assembling enough parts to nearly complete a 409/425 motor that includes factory dual exhaust. Probably 70% of the items are new NOS still inside Genuine GM Parts boxes.

Sadly my brother passed away suddenly and I'm left w/task of disposing the car parts. I'd been away from active racing for 20 yrs but have always followed cars thru sites like HAMB/Jalopy Journal and ClassRacer.

I've posted an ad for the parts but it's rambling and not complete, as I have not fully inventoried the lot. For example, I knew of the NOS 425HP short block, but unaware he had a set of 583 head castings NEW IN THE BOX. So it's been a bit of surprise and roller coaster. One thought for giggles is to cart all the new parts to a dyno room, assemble the motor and settle once and for all the HP output of a genuine factory stock 409/425. Now that would be cool.

I've already spoken with a few members and enjoy the knowledge and enthusiasm on this site. It's become a favorite bookmark and not only for the engine post. BTW- will try to post a new ad in nxt few weeks.

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Welcome, Paul.:appl Sorry, to hear, about your brother.:( He knew, the value, of these old Chevy parts.:clap I'm sure, you'll have little trouble, selling them.:)

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Welcome to this great site. Sorry about your brother. Sounds like you have some very nice parts there. As Skip said above, you shouldn't have any problem selling what you have.

wristpin

Well Known Member
Im sorry for your brothers passing. Sounds like you both were and are what this car stuff was all about. Please post a few stories elsewhere (Racing Days thread) on this site regarding your racing experiences. I know everyone here would love to hear them. Allow me to pull up a bucket as a seat for a listen...

PSmith1

Thanks to all for condolences and notes. Realistically, I'll probably never be a 409 owner (though de facto at moment) but always knew about the car, have enjoyed old stories, particularly the 62-63 years with the factory wars, and the transition from the 409/409 thru 425HP, Z11 package, and porcupine motor development. Probably half the USA population that grew up here in the 60s knew the Beach Boys 409 lyrics.

My first exposure to a 409 was age 12 or so, we all knew the Beach Boy song. A couple of guys in the neighborhood had them, both were 64s. One was yellow ragtop, black top, automatic, and (I think) factory yellow fender skirts. It was the family car, they had a couple of kids. The other was dark green 2 dr BelAir sedan (post car); you'd think nothing of it except the 409 tags on fenders. I thought it was a single 4bbl motor, but saw him open hood and it had a lg chrome air cleaner, forget if twin snorkles. Interior trim was bares bones like a business coupe, but had a factory floor shift (4 spd) and either factory or Sun tach. Looking back on this package, figure the owner knew what he wanted. Single guy, he parked it on street and we'd always look inside walking by it.

By the time we got our own cars and started racing, 409s all but disappeared. Small blocks were plentiful and relatively cheap to build for class racing, if you wanted to go fast 396-427 was the ticket. Recall a couple of 409s at Connecticut Dragway in early 70s, one was a wagon and probably hard on parts. Other than that it was usually at car shows or perhaps in a speed boat, dressed up w/finned valve covers. Enhancing the boat anchor image at the time.

Phalen409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
The wagon you refer to was most likely that of Ray Whitney. He still races the 62 wagon, albeit not the original "Dog Catcher" he raced back in the day. The current wagon however is an exact replica of his old car. His garage is full of Wally Parks trophies. Just was at his place last week. He's getting the wagon ready for Bowling Green 409 bash.

PSmith1

Yes, Dog Catcher was the wagon but we didn't know the driver. Wasn't it a 3-seater (9-passenger) model, D or E/S. And stick, not an auto??

Ct Dragway had some real heavy hitters at the time; all the Bob Johnson cars (DeLorenzo, Santangelo, Yacavone) plus Dave LeBrun with his 427s.

No409

Supporting Member 1
where you located Paul? my shops in uxbridge,ma ( about 15 min south of of worcester) i might be interested at the right price. Sorry for your loss

wristpin

Well Known Member
Great story. In our early and mid teens we'd walk by and check out cars in lots and around town. Knew of one mmm say '66 or '67 impala with factory 427. A blue '73 Mach I who's owner was a gorgous big boobed hot red head. White Hemi 'cuda i tried to buy for $1800. He wanted $1850 cause it wad perfect shape...and it was. Superbird, Daytona and several W head Impalas and Bel Aires.