Pics of my '56 gasser

our1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks Carmine, I use to have a 56 with a 409/409 it ran hot because I was young and no shroud, it was a fun car and left me on the side of the road often. Is that radiator in front of the body frame/radiator mount to make room for that sweet stroker?
Happy motoring Ted!!!!!!!

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Thanks Carmine, I use to have a 56 with a 409/409 it ran hot because I was young and no shroud, it was a fun car and left me on the side of the road often. Is that radiator in front of the body frame/radiator mount to make room for that sweet stroker?
Happy motoring Ted!!!!!!!

Yes, the radiator is in front of the frame. Had to do it that way because originally I insisted on using the stock steering box. Problem was, the box was in the way of the header and I had to move the engine forward about 1" or so which gave me less room up front. Of course there is a lot more to it, but I'm going to try and drive the gasser a lot more this year. I'm hoping that the electric fan will help keep the engine a little cooler. My 409 runs 180 degrees all day long. But not this guy, Carmine.

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
You need to verify the accuracy of your temp gauge with an infra red temp gun. :browMy brother was chasing a running to hot issue on his MGA for 30 years until I showed him his original style "Smith" temp gauge was reading almost 20 degrees to high. I used a very accurate temp gun. He went the electric fan route too. He put the dinky original 4 blade fan back on. I firmly believe that a lot of high temp problems started when we installed after market gauges. That's my story and I am stickin to it! BTW, according to the shop manual, the red idiot light in my '62 is set to come on at 240 degrees.

Last edited:

our1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
My 409/409 in the 62 ran the same as yours 180 degrees. I believe my 56 was the shroud missing overheating issues. Your 348 stroker has a 409 oil pan?

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
My 409/409 in the 62 ran the same as yours 180 degrees. I believe my 56 was the shroud missing overheating issues. Your 348 stroker has a 409 oil pan?
I believe you are correct about the oil pan. The dip stick is on the passenger side. That is the way I bought it. I never thought about that until I got it home. I then realized the guy might have sold me a 409 by mistake. I knew little to nothing about verifying anything at that time. Took it apart and to the machine shop. Definitely a 348.

I have an infra red temp. gun and will give that a try. I know I would drive and enjoy this car more if I could run it cooler.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I wonder if it is a 409 pan due to it being in a '56. Don't tri-fives require a '65 409 oil pan ?

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I wonder if it is a 409 pan due to it being in a '56. Don't tri-fives require a '65 409 oil pan ?

The 409 pan came with the motor. I don't know exactly what might have been required (oil pan) to put a "W" engine into a trifive, but I do know that I struggled somewhat to make it fit. If it wasn't one thing, it was something else. All because I insisted on using the factory steering box which eventually I didn't use anyway. I couldn't get the center link to connect from the pitman arm across to the passenger side upper steering arm. I wanted cross steering for less bump steer. With the engine forward by 1", that portion of the oil pan was directly in the way. There was no way around it. One guy, meaning well, suggested to drill the oil pan and run the center link through it. No thank you. I ended up using a Vega steering box which I had to plumb into the steering. My problem was trying to use the old with the new and initially it didn't work out so well. I thought the mid-60's Nova's required a special V-8 oil pan because of their steering, Carmine.