Pics of my 62 SS

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
OK, Since we all like pictures, I threw this page together to show you my car.

I bought this car on Ebay earlier this year and it was supposed to be a "solid" car! Well, look at the pictures and you will see what "solid" means. :takethat 3" thick Bondo and lots of fiberglas in the quarters. :bang

I didn't take any pictures when I first started because I was so disgusted with what I had bought. The smaller pics of the car in primer are the pics from Ebay.

They are not in any order, but I will work on getting these properly displayed on a new site.

Ronnie Russell built the 327 that is in the frame now and we will start to build my 409 next spring, which I am hoping to have the car done by then. All of the sheet metal is in, just need to start the "smoothing" of the body and paint. I have a complete new interior in a spare bedroom waiting for it to get done. :dunno (Including a set of NOS 62 SS Black seat covers!!! :D ) (the pics show a red interior, but I am switching it to Black)

Brian's 1962 Impala SS Updated 12/06/2007

In the top right of the page, you will see these buttons;

next1.gif
- Use this button to advance to the next picture.

show1.gif
- Use this button to start a slideshow.

Don't laugh at my work!!! :roll This is the first time I have ever welded or did body work. :scratch

UK Racer

Lots of good work

All that new floor steel is making me jealous and thinking maybe I should have gone for full floors rather than just 1/4s on my car.
Looks like a lot of good work done already (but lots more to go) thanks for letting us see your pics.
Adam :clap

star

It looks like you got it going your way dude,just hang in there and have patiance, And I know what ya mean on the welding if ya hadnt welded b4,Once you start doing the body work you will see the real evils of the sheet metal you welded in ,the sheet metal is very tricky to weld without warping it up bad,good luck!

PAINTJOHN1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Brian,nice work.Its amazing what can be done when you have the proper tools,little elbow grease,some good parts and a little ambition to work.I think if you look at the project with the attitude that "I CAN FIX IT",instead of letting the project itimedate you,things always work out.I ENJOYED THOSE NICE PICTURES,THAT WILL BE A MIGHTY FINE RIDE, GOOD WORK!!!!! THANKS FOR POSTING THEM,JOHN

PS- I see you had your 4 legged helper there with you all the time.Did you train him to hand you the proper tool s when you needed them????

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Very interesting pictures Brian. You've put a lot of effort in it and have a lot to be proud of! :clap :clap

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I just wanted to say thank you for the comments. It has been a long and tiresome learning experience, but worth it! There are quite a few things I would have done differently, but they are there to stay for now.
Working out of my garage in a HOA neighborhood has been quite the challenge. I had to put up a driveway gate just to hide everything from them!

My next steps are to strip the under carriage and paint it with Red Oxide "Zero-Rust". This way, I can put the body back on the frame and get to the real fun stuff....laying on the filler and sanding!!! :bang

hrlykngt

Well Known Member
question

Those are great documenting pics, how did you fix the problems in pic 7, 8, and pic 40. These are issues I have to address on one of my projects, just not sure how to wade off into it yet. Got any pics of that fix in progress?
thanks
Harley

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Those are great documenting pics, how did you fix the problems in pic 7, 8, and pic 40. These are issues I have to address on one of my projects, just not sure how to wade off into it yet. Got any pics of that fix in progress?
thanks
Harley

In pic 7, I replaced the entire right quarter panel up to the sail panel, see pics 35 and 36. As far as pic 8 and 40, I am going to fill it with JB Weld for now. I know, I am going to hear a lot on that one! I just dont want to replace th roof at this point. If I do, it will be for a bubble top conversion later.

Brian

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I just updated my site so take a look now. It still has the slide show player, but I broke it out into several pieces.

Brians New WebSite

Let me know what you think...Likes and Dislikes. :dunno

Thanks-
Brian