Picture of Offy Tee Fitting

mabeauchamp

Supporting Member 1
I know this is a subject that has been discussed in several threads, and I hate bring it up. But...does anyone have a picture of an offy intake with a bypass tee and hose installed that they could post? I'd like to take a look at how you ran the hose without it binding up. I haven't been able to find one in previous threads or the member gallery.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
mabeauchamp, Not sure of the answers you will get, but since I dont use thermostat, I plan on plugging pump and intake and not use by-pass.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Should have added that I will not be using heater core, so that makes my situation much easier than yours.

mabeauchamp

Supporting Member 1
ronnie, i read one of your earlier posts about plugging the pump. if i remember right you seem to be taking on the world in that one. :) i plan on running without a thermostat as well. i also prefer to go the same route you've taken but just haven't come up with a viable temporary solution on plugging the bypass. i want the option of being able to switch back to the 340 hp intake so I'm not sure how to block off the bypass fitting without permanently messing the pump up. i have a pressed in fitting. welding or tapping it is a bit more permanent than i want. using a small piece of hose with a clamped in bolt to block it scares me. i know others have had luck with this route but i'm not sure i want to chance it.

mabeauchamp

Supporting Member 1
Ronnie Russell said:
Should have added that I will not be using heater core, so that makes my situation much easier than yours.

I've seen some of the ribbing you've taken in the past for living in Texas from a few of the Northern guys. :) Those poor guys are still digging out from last nights snow and your riding around with the windows down. :roll

I guess my situation in VA is not too bad. I did consider doing away with the core to clean things up a bit but decided against it just in case.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
mabeauchamp, A far as I know, the by-pass provides an optional egress of water to the radiator in case thermostat sticks. No thermostat- no reason for by-pass. You do make a good point about blocking the pump. As yet I have not found an attractive way to do it. Piece of heater hose with a plug in it? The only way I know how to do it. It looks ugly!!! I will have to give this some thought. There must be a better way to do the job. Maybe one of the members will enlighten us on a good way.

Bam59

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
just one idea, machine a tappered alum. plug, install in the hole in which the water flows to. replace hose and use clamp to hold plug and hose in place.
still looks stock and can change it back any time.:dunno
done this on bypass for sewer and water systems.

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Freeze Plugs

I use 5/8"freeze plugs to plug my intake and pump.

Attachments

• Picture 052.jpg
    Picture 052.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 74
  • Picture 053.jpg
    Picture 053.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 76

mabeauchamp

Supporting Member 1
Jim, What a great idea. Thanks for the pictures. Have you ever had any problem with them leaking? Are these the press/tap in or are they threaded? Made by Dorman? It looks as though the press in fitting on your water pump has been removed.

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I used a hacksaw blade inside the tube and cut through the tube.I used a 5/8" dorman expansion plug,I used permatex out side of the plug.

mabeauchamp

Supporting Member 1
Jim, You've come through again. Hopefully, I'll be able to swing the Kentucky trip and meet you all. I figure by now I owe all the members at least one beverage of their choice. :beerbang

If anyone else has tee'd the system off, I'd still like to take a look at a picture (if available.)

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
twist and shout

Take a chisel and kink the water pump tube lengthwise. Get a vise grip® and twist it out (just a press fit anyhow). Tap it for a pipe plug. It is already drilled to the correct size for a NPT plug. You can screw a nipple in it latter if you have to go back to the bypass. Bypass allows the engine to send hot water to the heater core before the thermostat opens. That is all it does. I don't drive my car in the winter, my bypass is pluged. I don't use a thermostat, I don't have a heater core.