Pied Piper, Fort Worth Tx

Roger46

Proud wife of new member here (he knows NOTHING about computers!) Thanks for adding him! Saw a post back from 2014 from "Wrench" asking about Pied Piper. My husband raced at Forest Hill drag strip & remembers this car. Heard original owner is still alive but not sure about that.

He was working on a '61 and just dropped in a 409 when he got drafted. Was in Vietnam ('67-'68) when he wrote his mom to sell everything because he wasn't coming home alive. And she did...his car, tools, everything. For over 40 years, he wanted a '62 bubble top & he finally got one. Needs everything but hey, it makes him happy! Just wanted to share a little background about him and his never-ending love of Chevy's...esp. bubble tops!!!

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Welcome to the site and please post some car pics too, we love pictures, the more the better.

Don

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Welcome, Roger and Mrs. Roger. Our own "wrench" lives in the Ft. Worth area and is one of our most valued and trusted members. I would wager that at some point wrench will get in touch with you and offer his help. There are many on this site who offer their help and advice when asked. Anything you guys need, just ask. Again, welcome.

Roger46

Thank you all for the responses! We live in Azle & I'd bet Wrench knows some of the same guys we do. Heck, we might even know him!

One thing Roger's looking for are a couple (or even just one) door. His has Impala doors (probably was wrecked at some time or rusted out). Not going to have much luck finding those! Bought it from a guy who kept it outside & bamboo grew up all around it. At least it was hidden from the road!

I'll have to figure out how to post pics...if I can!!!

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Proud wife of new member here (he knows NOTHING about computers!) Thanks for adding him! Saw a post back from 2014 from "Wrench" asking about Pied Piper. My husband raced at Forest Hill drag strip & remembers this car. Heard original owner is still alive but not sure about that.

He was working on a '61 and just dropped in a 409 when he got drafted. Was in Vietnam ('67-'68) when he wrote his mom to sell everything because he wasn't coming home alive. And she did...his car, tools, everything. For over 40 years, he wanted a '62 bubble top & he finally got one. Needs everything but hey, it makes him happy! Just wanted to share a little background about him and his never-ending love of Chevy's...esp. bubble tops!!!

Roger, Charlie McElroy owned and raced the Pied Piper until he sold it to Wrench. I used to sell Charlie parts when I was at a Chevrolet dealership., he ran a gas station in Ft Worth. Was a good guy. I remember him driving around town with PIED PIPER painted on the 1/4's. Interesting that while he and I both ran 409's we never raced each other, I always wondered where he was, I was at one track and he was at another. Good times.

wrench

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Dayum....

The ol' Piper getting some print!

I don't know Roger (I think). When I got the car in the 70's new logos were added. It had 'Barton's Transmissions" on the quarters, nice white pinstriping all around, and 'Mary Lou' on the roof just above the doors.I had to compound the name off since I married Marci. It put the car back on the street initially with a 327 / four speed, but that didn't work out too well. I then tried a 350 / 400 turbo (so Marci could drive it) and I even drove it to Illinois and back on my first and only real vacation I have ever taken in my life. I've had stock wheels, chrome reverse, Cragars, American's and finally it now has stock wheels on her. When I aquired the car in '74 ish, it had no engine, transmission or third member in the housing. My mom towed me home with a chain using her Torino.

Had some wild things happen along the way. I'll dig up some photos for this thread and post them in the next few days.

The people here are fantastic! Greatest bunch of friends and a wealth of knowledge.

Last edited:

61belairbubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Cool story. A car with a history. All these cars have history, some known, some not. I wish I knew the story on my car ! Looking forward to seeing images.

Roger46

Wrench, Roger's glad the car's still around in the area. Has lots of good, fun memories racing at Forest Hill. He ran a '55 Chevy & still has some of the old trophies he won from there. Had a '58 Del Rea he raced at Kennedale a few times till he blew the motor!

Thanks for the welcome & looking forward to seeing more info. on this site!

wrench

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Do a search here on the site. Use 'Pied Piper' in the search by user 'wrench'. The pictures are still in that thread along with some more discussion about the car.

Cheers,
wrench

wrench

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Forest Hill closed down before I got the 'shaky left leg' and began drag racing. I did go to Kennedale a lot in my youth. I hated that turn at the end of the strip though. Green Valley was always a treat too. Ah, those were the days.....