Piston identification

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Okay,Use the cam pn0958 from Show-Cars.It's a Comp Cams Extreme Energy solid lifter cam.270 IN,280 EX adv.duration[235-243@.050].561 in.,.574 ex.lift on a 110 centerline.I'd recommend bigger valves,but better heads such as 817s or reworked 333s would put you closer to 400 hp than 300 ,and you can keep your Edelbrock intake manifold,carb,roller rockers ect.At that light weight,I'd also suggest a looser converter than stock,something on the order of 3000 stall.Zoomies won;t be a problem ,just make them long tube zoomies.Use the 2.065 in.1.725 ex valves.These are stock size for the 817 head,and the 1147 head,but can be installed in the 333 head.You could use them in the 379 head as an upgrade,but while all these heads mentioned are "small port" heads,the ports in the 333s,817s and 1147s are bigger in stock form than the 379s could ever be ported to.Just food for thought.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
The stock crank is more than enough,big block rods[6.135 length] ,,Ross 11-1 pistons with 1/16,1/16,3/16 ring package,balance,trim cyl.deck as needed to acheive zero deck,Fel Pro head gaskets[.042 thickness],will take care of the short block.Reworked 333 heads with above mentioned valves and minor bowl work.You'll have very close to 400 hp,well over 420 ft.lbs of torque,and the car will be "stupid" fast,if you can keep the tires hooked up even with that 3.00 gear,on pump gas.

awsumcars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Just a side note, but the valve relief @ the top of the cylinder bore indicates a truck block, which would lower the compression from a passenger block.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Good point,but all 348 car and late truck blocks have the notch simular to the 409 truck block.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I have pictures of me fly cutting my 9.5 pistons for a high lift cam. I did not rebalance. If anyone is interested. And I know how to do it too.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Okay,Use the cam pn0958 from Show-Cars.It's a Comp Cams Extreme Energy solid lifter cam.270 IN,280 EX adv.duration[235-243@.050].561 in.,.574 ex.lift on a 110 centerline.I'd recommend bigger valves,but better heads such as 817s or reworked 333s would put you closer to 400 hp than 300 ,and you can keep your Edelbrock intake manifold,carb,roller rockers ect.At that light weight,I'd also suggest a looser converter than stock,something on the order of 3000 stall.Zoomies won;t be a problem ,just make them long tube zoomies.Use the 2.065 in.1.725 ex valves.These are stock size for the 817 head,and the 1147 head,but can be installed in the 333 head.You could use them in the 379 head as an upgrade,but while all these heads mentioned are "small port" heads,the ports in the 333s,817s and 1147s are bigger in stock form than the 379s could ever be ported to.Just food for thought.
:bow

mike matheos

Supporting Member 2
Dub
if you look at my photo album you can see a dyno sheet and cam card for my 348. it has 8.5 actual compression with sterling pistons that look similar to yours. all the information is on the dyno sheet. cam is solid and cam card is posted also. the heads were stock castings that i smoothed up and put over sized valves in. it made 407 hp. with 2 450 holley carbs. good luck mike

DUB 348

Supporting Member 1
Thanks for the info Mike very impressive, looking at your photo album I noticed your block was decked wouldn't that raise your compression ? I love your Falcon !

Last edited:

mike matheos

Supporting Member 2
my 8.5 compression is actual compression figured with a block of lexan on top of the cyl. and filling it with washer fluid to measure volume. i figured it after the block was decked. i decked the block so i would have zero deck. the piston comes to the top of the block. its hard to get higher compression when you only have 3.25 stroke. i am also using big block rods that are .010 longer than a stock 348 rod. i also used over sized valves and did not sink them in the head. so i think i tried everything i could to get the most compression from my combination and 8.5 was it without changing the pistons. but it still made good power and ran great on the street for 2 years, never gave me a problem.