Pointers on having your car sit in storage

65Impala409

Well Known Member
HI All,

I know its a horrible thing to do but I have recently realized that I havent used/started my 65 409 in ~2 years. :doh Is there anything I really should be doing to make sure that my car doesnt fall to pieces... Any pointers would help... Thank you as always....

Ned
65Impala409

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
HI All,

I know its a horrible thing to do but I have recently realized that I havent used/started my 65 409 in ~2 years. :doh Is there anything I really should be doing to make sure that my car doesnt fall to pieces... Any pointers would help... Thank you as always....

Ned
65Impala409

Are you thinking about starting it or thinking about continued storage?

If starting it I would change the oil, pull the distributor and use the top end oiling tool to pump oil to the top end.
Squirt some oil into the spark plug holes and rotate the engine by hand.
Then start it.

To continue storing it, I would lift the tires off the ground and support the frame and also support the suspension so the springs are in a neutral position.
Add some gas stabilizer, put some dryer sheets like Bounce in the trunk, interior and engine compartment.
This will help keep the mice out and also make the car smell really nice.

I also like to leave the windows slightly down a bit and cover the car with a car cover. (in a dry garage)

Using a product like Dri-Zit or DampRid is also a good idea for the interior to collect any moisture.
In that case, leave the windows up.

Make sure the engine is moisture free as in plug or cover all the openings.
Even spraying an oil, like WD40 into the cylinders to combat rust helps.

One thing I found out is even doing all this, condensation will collect inside the valve covers and other places but I really don`t think this is avoidable.

Disconnect the positive cable to the battery and use a Battery Tender if posible.
Believe it or not , the Tender will keep that battery like new for years and you will have a full charge when you are ready to start the car.
good luck, dq

WENGINE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Ned: If you are storing the car in a garage with a concret floor you may also want to lay a plastic sheet under the car to keep moisture off the bottom of the car.