Pontiac

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Nice car!

I've been tracking that one, it's the third week it's been on Ebay. First time it went off at $130K something (I suspect shill bidding...), second time it had one bid at $100K, and now this time around. It's in St. Louis (120 miles away) and if I were there for other reasons I'd make plans just to talk to the owner.

It's of course a "made" car, but done very nicely. I've been on Pontiac Forums and there's quite a bit of talk on this one. including the fellow in CA who built the all aluminum M/T engine. Seems the seller is a collector of known repute (good references).

I really like what he's done to this '62, but it's value is hard to assess, since it is in the high range of what might be considered an original car. Of course it will never be original in the true sense. And I bet I couldn't duplicate it for what he might be asking...

Cheers!
TomK

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I see in the description that Dave at SD Performance did the heads.... I'll see if he knows anything about the car.

Dave

biscaynewagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I might be wrong, but I think the 1962 never came with bubble top ? Well it did said custom bubble top, but for that $$$ hmmmm....
Nevertheless nice car though

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Graft job

You are correct, the 1962 Pontiacs came with the more formal roof line similar to the ones you see on the 1962 Impala 2 door sport coupe. That top was grafted on as a "what if". I think it looks spectacular, but then I am a "bubbletop" fanatic. Whenever I see one of those roof lines I get weak in the knees :).

The owner makes no bones about it being a "made" car. But that engine combination is rare as hen's teeth and it appears that the fit and finish are to a high degree of perfection. I've talked with some fellows who have seen it and they are duly impressed. So am I, given the apparent high Reserve...

Best,
TomK

mark johnson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Yeah, I got to see it over the summer when a friend of mine did some work on it. It really does have some incredible GM factory race pieces on it. As impressive as the motor is, it also has an extremely rare aluminum center section in the rear axle. I think it's a great "phantom" car. Kinda reminds me of Tommy's '62 Bubbletop Super Sport Impala. That's also a car that should have been produced in 1962.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
"Kinda reminds me of Tommy's '62 Bubbletop Super Sport Impala. That's also a car that should have been produced in 1962."

I beleive you are thinking of Brians '62. I would like to have a 4 speed '62 Catalina but I would want it to have the factory roof.

dakota tom

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Nice build. If It was mine I would put bias tires on it. That rounded radial tire look isn't right on a sixties car.

I would also put a period correct T-10 trans and the original style crossmember and trans mount in it.

I do have a 63 catalina 2 dr factory 389 tri-power 4 sp, 63 bonniville 4 dr ht, 63 catalina safari amblewagon(factory amblance package but no raised roof, HD susp, big alternator,HD cooling),63 catalina conv. build-it project. was 389 auto. Have the parts for 421 tri-power,4 sp,fac air, PS,PB,tach,8 lugs,ventura int. tags. Someday.

PAINTJOHN1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Tommy,you know I'm drooling over this one.I'm like you I do like the correct roof style,but this looks really nice as well,even if its a home made version. John

PAINTJOHN1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Dakota Tom,see you have a nice Pontiac collection.Robert and I know of a few Pontiac rarities as well.How about a 66' Catalina ,4 door,421ci,tri power,4 speed,ambulance 6 lug wheels(was told it was a 1 of 1).Same guy has a 66 Safari wagon,421,tri power,automatic car as well. I love these odd ball,kind of rare cars. John

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Dakota Tom,see you have a nice Pontiac collection.Robert and I know of a few Pontiac rarities as well.How about a 66' Catalina ,4 door,421ci,tri power,4 speed,ambulance 6 lug wheels(was told it was a 1 of 1).Same guy has a 66 Safari wagon,421,tri power,automatic car as well. I love these odd ball,kind of rare cars. John

John, don't forget that the 66 4 door also has a Lees-Neville alternator and has some heavy suspension items. I personally didn't know the man who ordered that "copo" Pontiac but he was an engineer with Wayne Pump gas pumps in Salisbury. I've been working on Lloyd getting that Pontiac aluminum SD rare car out to some shows but he'll only agree to do it if I tow it:eek::eek: better up my trailer and tow rig's insurance:D
robert

PAINTJOHN1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Yep,Robert I would do that.Thats probably the rarest and most valuable 62' in the USA. I only wish that sat in my garage.!!!.Did you pass the info along to Lloyd about the Charlestown show.They're expecting over 4000 people and many ,many cars.Check that video from the websight.John

ROYALOAK62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Guys,

I sent this thread to a high school buddy from Royal Oak MI where we lived. He now lives in Tenn. His dad worked for GM, high in the real estate division. I know for a fact that his dad would bring home some wild vehicles home back then.

He said his dad had a 62 flat-top (?) with a 421 w/tripower in the driveway for a short time. My buddy said it did not last to long because it burned to much gas back when gas was what 30 cents a gal. I think his dad has a different Pontiac every 6 months or so with bizarre set-ups.

Those were the days.

Dave

dakota tom

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
When I was 5 my father bought a new 63 Catalina 4 dr sedan, 389 regular gas with 3sp manual trans. had It until 1969. So got hooked on them back then.

Bought the 2dr Cat. in 1976, the Bonneville in 1978, The convertibile in 2006? The wagon about a year ago.

My brother has a 63 Catalina 4 dr sedan.

I remember a silver 63 SD swiss cheese with a bonneville wagon tow car for sale in Texas in late 1976 or early 1977 for $2500. About $2500 more than I had right then.

There was a 65 bonneville 4 dr in town back when, late 60s, with 421 emblems. You could get anything from your dealer back then.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Yep,Robert I would do that.Thats probably the rarest and most valuable 62' in the USA. I only wish that sat in my garage.!!!.Did you pass the info along to Lloyd about the Charlestown show.They're expecting over 4000 people and many ,many cars.Check that video from the websight.John

John: Yes Lloyd knew about the show and said they wanted the car this year(also last year in ohio but he wouldn't take it). He wants me to trailer it which I don't mind if I can get away but I have been thinking about hauling something that belongs in a Pontiac musuem:eek::eek: Scary!!!!!!
I suggested we even take the extra set of Aluminum bumpers and hood for display!!
robert

PAINTJOHN1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Robert,if you all would take the hood and bumpers,and display them along with that car.You'd have to get a helper just to keep the parts cleaned because of all the drooling that would go on over them. Maybe we could get Dick to post the pictures of that incredibly rare,no mileage super duty Pontiac.I know he E-Mailed them to me right after You,Brian and himself were there to see the car. LOL, John

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Lloyd didn't want to move the car out of the garage and the driveway was pretty close to full anyway. Here are few. Couldn't get very good angles to shoot pictures.

L_Catalina_back.jpg

L_Engine1.jpg

L_Catalina_front.jpg

L_Engine3.jpg

L_Catalina_Odometer.jpg