Powder Coating

61BISCAYNE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I'm looking at having my front inner fenders powder coated inside and out
in high gloss black. Also will do the radiator support, hood hinges and latch etc.
I would like to get feedback from anyone who has done this.
How well does it hold its shine?:dunno How durable is it? Pros, cons?
Thanks, Danny

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Should not be a problem. powder coating is tough as nails and holds it shine almost forever.
It is really common to have motorcycle frames powder coated for this very reason.

62409wagon

Well Known Member
We did all that. came out real nice. only one problem, when we put the hood on we couldn't close it, :roll Had to take the hinges back off and get the coating
out of the parts that move. and you have to clean the spots that you need electrical ground, such as the blinkers and headlights. good luck.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I'm looking at having my front inner fenders powder coated inside and out
in high gloss black. Also will do the radiator support, hood hinges and latch etc.
I would like to get feedback from anyone who has done this.
How well does it hold its shine?:dunno How durable is it? Pros, cons?
Thanks, Danny

Powder is paint that is manufactured in large blocks then ground into a powder. It is then electric statically applied. This allows it to get into areas that would not normally be coated with a conventional or HVLP spray gun. I have been using a guy here locally for over twenty years and am completely sold on it. It hods its shine and does not chip when assembling. For the price you can't beat it. My buddy just did his TCI frame for his 34' Phaeton in gloss black for 350.00 and that included sand blasting. You could not paint it for that. Also the guy that I use heats up the parts before he applies the powder. This way you can see the powder melt onto the surface and it has a much better adhesion. As 62409wagon said grounds and movable parts can be a issue but if you are using a experienced powder coater they should know what to mask and what not to mask. The guy that I use also does all of the sand blasting and is aware of gasket and bearing surfaces. Sand blasting can really screw these areas up. One thing to take into consideration using gloss. If your parts are not 100% perfect it WILL show and as we all know gloss black is not forgiving. For instance if you have any surface rust that has pitted the metal surface or any small dents these will all be seen. One thing I have seen him do with pitted metal is after the first application he will scotchbright it down and apply a second coat. This will fill in a lot of the pits but will up the cost. Also an experienced powder coater will have a large selection of colors and will not require you to purchase powder. If they want you to purchase the powder they are not experienced, don't have the inventory, and I would look elsewhere. I have seen many people get shafted, bad workmanship, screwed up parts, by trying to use inexperienced powder caoters. There has been a lot of people that jumped on the band wagon thinking they can do it. My segestion would be to go with a 60% or 80% black. JM2 cents. The powder coater should have samples of the differant shines. Good Luck.

567trishop

I use power coating for all suspension, chassis, front sheet metal and rims (wheels). I wouldn’t do moving parts either. I mostly use 60% when using black as gloss can leave fine scratchers over a period of time. When I have really wanted gloss black I have got the power coater to put a coat of clear over the top. The picture shows my 55 with the wish bones power coated.

Attachments

• Image004.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 93

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Hey Danny- Do you know a good powder coater up your way? I am thinking of getting the new frame for my 62 powder coated when I get the insurance money.

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
P. Also the guy that I use heats up the parts before he applies the powder. This way you can see the powder melt onto the surface and it has a much better adhesion. .

You need heat to do powder coating!Without heat the powder will not melt,,,,

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
You need heat to do powder coating!Without heat the powder will not melt,,,,

:doh:doh:doh...The point I was making was that by "preheating" the parts before application then putting the parts back in the oven for the allotted time results in a better job....:deal I guess I took it for granted that everyone knew that "Heat" was part of the process...:D

61BISCAYNE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Hey Danny- Do you know a good powder coater up your way? I am thinking of getting the new frame for my 62 powder coated when I get the insurance money.

Brian,
I have never had anything powdercoated...I have just recently started looking into it. The guy I have been talking to does not have an oven long enough for a frame. I think he said his oven is 4 feet x 4 feet x 6 feet.
Danny

CHEV601234

Well Known Member
why powdrcoat ANYTHING? It doesnt look right at all...........!!!!! you don't drive the cars enough to need it. Just paint it.:bang

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
why powdrcoat ANYTHING? It doesnt look right at all...........!!!!! you don't drive the cars enough to need it. Just paint it.:bang

I think you must have only seen the old powder coating that had a very orange peel look.
The new coatings are very smooth and look just like paint but unlike paint don`t chip,,,

3483x2

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Why powdercoat? Here's an example on my reasoning... :brow
E-mail 100_2335.jpg

I've been hooked and doing my stuff for some time now.
One of my pet peaves has always been cad plating.
Even when done professionally, (IMHO) it still looks like junk to me.
Engine, wheels, interior, front end... If they fit in my oven (and even sometimes if they don't) I'll consider PC'ing it.

Since I'm taking the time to do the parts, my attitude is they're gonna last baby! :beerbang

gabriel-cestaro

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
i like a good clear coat base coat if you scratch something you can fix it to match and we really do that much driving to powder coat ?????????

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
OK, I have a question for those that have had stuff powder coated. I am going to get my frame powder coated. They priced it out at 350.00 for just putting the color on. If I wanted a primer on first, it would be 600.00 and with a clear coat it is 900.00. With this said, do I really need the primer coat and clear?

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
how well does it work on Aluminum or Stainless parts like trim and grills?

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
powder coating -62 chevy frame and all parts

I just got my 62 chevy frame powder coated semi gloss black with all the parts, rear end housing, upper and lower a frames, upper rear control arms(I did two uppers)and lower rear control arms, transmission mount, new 409 coil springs, all front end parts,spindes, except ball joints and tie rod ends, fender mounting brackets, small fender mounting parts, backing plates(I am not using them). I had all the parts blasted first(traded blasting with a friend for parts I bought him -many places around here do blasting of frames). All the powder coating cost less than $400. It looks outstanding!!. Local company does the work took in on Monday picked it up Friday. I did the coil springs in Gray powder coating. I painted the upper a arm brackets eastwood spray gray the lower a frame mounting arms where done in gray powder coating.

I have pictures available, can add to my site for all to look at.
I have another friend that dropped his vette frame and scratched it. He heated it up with a heat gun and fixed the damage.

Company touches up the blasting with metal beads before the powder coating.

I am convinced for anyone around here that this is the way to go.
They put plugs in screw holes, tape off the rear end housing bolts for the third member, front spindles, taped off. I am adding discs to this frame I can't believe how nice it looks. No primer on the frame needed. This company does farm equipment plus for body shops restoration shops around here.

Paul Stensland
Sgt. Bluff, Iowa

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
OK, I have a question for those that have had stuff powder coated. I am going to get my frame powder coated. They priced it out at 350.00 for just putting the color on. If I wanted a primer on first, it would be 600.00 and with a clear coat it is 900.00. With this said, do I really need the primer coat and clear?

Brian, You do not need the primer. It depends on what color you are going with for the clear coat. I did the fawn matalic on my 63' so I did do the clear coat. If you are just doing black I would not do the clear coat. Most of the matalics have to use the clear coat as they are a flat or satin sheen without the clear.

how well does it work on Aluminum or Stainless parts like trim and grills?

Tic, Again it depends on what you are trying to accomplish. I would not use it on stainless. Are you thinking clear coat after polishing? I have had cast aluminum parts done, boat windshield frame, after polishing and the problem with them is the castings are poris witch results in bubbles. I am not sure about grills and trim but I would think they would be fine as they are extruded. I will ask the guy that does my stuff and see what he says.

62ImpalaSS

Well Known Member
So I got a estimate to powder coat my frame (black) from the same place that was going to sandblast the frame for $350 with the media blasting, so I am going to do that. There was no indication that I would have to epoxy coat or spray anything prior to getting the powder coating done.

I would ask this question to you that do this yourselves do you just bake the parts in a regular oven? do you have the racks in there? where do you get the powder and is it a hard process or can a Weekend wrencher do this sort of thing? I would be interested in doing this. Other then durability what are the other advantages of Powder coating? :dunno