Power brakes with 409 425 hp

Red 409 63 impala

Well Known Member
Another question, my 63 SS with 425 hp 409 is moving along. I am adding pwr brakes and am wondering the best way to obtain vacuum for the brake booster. The assembly manual does not show the power brake option with the dual carbs. Am I making a mistake? Thanks

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Back in, 65 or 66 I was in my neighborhood junkyard, scrounging up another rear end. I went through Many.:doh Anyhow, I noticed a very nice Brake Booster, on the 63, that I just took the rear end out of. Mr. Taylor told me to take it.:clap When I got home, I put it on. The car would stop on a dime.:applSometimes.:dunno Sometimes, it wouldn't stop at all.:eek3The 425 H.P. cam didn't make enough vacuum.:dohNowadays, vacuum canisters, are available.:clap

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
You can also get an electric vacuum pump, but they vibrate quite a bit and are noisy.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
I have heard you should not have the PCV and the brakes on the same fitting oil contamination possible in booster I think was the reason.

bobs409

Administrator
I think it's how the factory did it before they added the special port in the intake. I never had a problem so far anyway.

Red 409 63 impala

Well Known Member
Thanks for all the info. My 409 has dual afb's, but a hydraulic cam. It probably is not a real high performance grind. I purchased the engine that was rebuilt and never in a car. The 2 4's will probably never be run wide open. Looks like I should be okay with just pulling vacuum from the bottom of the rear carb. I will not utilize a pcv instead use a road draft tube as was used up to 62 on the 409.

Eric Kozmic

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Thanks to Mike (1958 delivery) on this site, I'm in the process of getting disc brakes installed on the front of my 63- 409/425.

No booster on my install. Can't wait to see (feel) the difference. This and a few other items should make a fun winter of driving. No salt on the roads here so it's pretty much wide open from a driving perspective.