Power brakes

60overdrive

Does anyone know where to get a 12 volt electric vacum pump my 1960 Impala 348 tri power now rebult with a mild cam, does not seem to have enough vacum for the new disc brakes.:rolleyes:

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Those things are made by Gast and another company probably in the Graingier catalogue...But.... Why not a reservior tank?

bignbad60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
with a " mild " cam , you should have plenty of vacuum to oprate the brakes. You might first want to investigate any other issues, vacuum leaks etc....

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
with a " mild " cam , you should have plenty of vacuum to oprate the brakes. You might first want to investigate any other issues, vacuum leaks etc....

Ditto !! Most of us with mega cams stiil have enough vac to work the brakes,,

What cam are you running???

bluescreamer

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Power brake

60overdrive
If my memory is correct I believe the 60 chevy tri power cars
came equipped with a vaccum tank for the same reason you are
having a problem.
I think they where mounted on the inner fender under the
hood hinge. :doh
Allen

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
60overdrive
If my memory is correct I believe the 60 chevy tri power cars
came equipped with a vaccum tank for the same reason you are
having a problem.
I think they where mounted on the inner fender under the
hood hinge. :doh
Allen

60overdrive, I think bluescream is on the right track. I put power disc brakes on my 61' 348, it had factory power brakes, and didn't re connect the vacuum tank and it works fine. Are you using all new parts and, are you sure you have the push rod adjusted properly both from the master to the booster and the booster to the peddle? If it is not adjusted correctly and is pushing on the vacuum diaphragm it will result in a hard peddle. :cool: Good luck Dan