power steering box

raylondon

i am looking for a quicker ratio steering box for my 62 impala. i have read about the 605 box and it doesn't sound like it would be any quicker than the stock one. any help would be great
thanks
ray

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I've just put a 605 in my '61. I haven't driven it yet, but it's 3 1/2 turns lock to lock.

Dave

BARRYS770

Supporting Member 1
I just installed a 500 box on my '60 & it's 2-1/2 turns lock to lock, with the stock spindle stops.

Barry

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Barry, how is the rad clearance. I've heard that you can't use a 500 box with a 4 core rad??

Dave

raylondon

thanks for the info. i have one more think to ask i have power steering in the car now. will the 605 or 500 use the slave cylinder and does the 605 or 500 mount in the same holes or are there brackets that are needed.
thanks
ray

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
You have the stock power steering by the sounds of it. Remove the stock box & ram. You will need the bracket to mount the new steering box, a drag link from a standard steering car and new PS hoses. You also need to shorten the steering column and get the bottom connecter shaft with the rag joint.

I bought my stuff from Classic Performance Products in CA and they are good to deal with. There are others that will have what you need as well, Impala Bobs, Show Cars, Ecklers and more. It's a pretty common upgrade so the parts are easy to find.

Dave

BARRYS770

Supporting Member 1
Right now I have the standard radiator in the car and there's plenty of clearance. However, I am a little concerned about he clearance when I put the larger radiator in the car. A small notch in the lower tank should solve the problem. I may have to have a radiator built with a modified lower tank to ensure that there's enough clearance.

I'm a month or so away from actually addressing this issue.

Barry

SonOfThomp

Well Known Member
I also dealt with Classic Performance, buying and installing their CP500 box. The tech guy was great (Danny), and the unit makes driving my '61 MUCH more pleasant. It was manual steering, previously.
The only problem not solved "out of the box" was the pump outlet for the pressure line. The fixture on the hose is at a 45 degree angle, and I could not make it work - kept hitting the cross member. had to get one made with a 90 degree; added $75 to the project.