Power Steering Bracket?

bmac

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Hello all,

Well, I'm getting closer to having my 409 in my car. I did not have the right power steering bracket so I purchased one. I went to bolt it on last night and the holes do not align. :dunno

If I have the top bolt for the bracket in, the bottom does not align, the block hole only shows about 1/2 the hole when the bracket is pushed over right next to the timing gear cover.

My block is a truck block. Has anyone else ran into this? Is it a difference between truck vs car (man, I hope not!!!) Any ideas?

thanks, bmac

It is looking awesome though!!! :cool:

SteveD409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
When I installed the idler on my 409 I used repo brackets and ran into what you are seeing. I just "tweeked" the holes on the brackets so that they would work.

SteveD

jester

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
SteveD409 said:
When I installed the idler on my 409 I used repo brackets and ran into what you are seeing. I just "tweeked" the holes on the brackets so that they would work.

SteveD

If you needed to tweek it, could you have used a bracket from a small block?

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I also had trouble fitting an aftermarket power steering bracket. I eventually got it to fit but it was a struggle.

bmac

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
oh well

Well, I did elongate the bolt hole and got the bracket to fit. Onto the next issue. The power steering pump on my car is the newer type and I don't think it will work with this bracket, it hits the bolt securing the middle bracket bolted to the head and does not let it come back enough... :dunno

So, I ordered one of the, I think, older types that is not the teardrop type (teardrop is appropriate)... we'll see

I think I may have screwed up on the flexplate as well. I went to install the starter and the gear is to far away from the plate. I thought it was a 168 tooth flexplate and am now trying to figure out if that's the case. It was the same flexplate I used with the 283/TH350 trans. Have the same trans in with the 409 but I don't think it's gonna work.. crap, if that's the case I guess it all needs to come back out??? At least it's not all together.

Boy, this has been fun but frustrating too...

Oh, insidently, I looked at the 283 PS bracket and I'm not sure it could work. I'm not sure there is enough brackes to drill the hole for the 2" space. It seems like the bolt head would be too close to the bottom of the bracket.