Power Steering Conversion??

Nate Waters

My father replaced the draglink style power steering cylinder on his 56' Belair with an aftermarket power steering box made by CPP. The car does not drive as well as it did before.. What has been your experience with those power steering box conversions for the impalas??

Attachments

• IMG_1915.jpg
    IMG_1915.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 27

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Not sure why your father's application but he may have to change his camber for the later steering gear.

Nate Waters

He did get an alignment after the upgrade. Could be checked again to ensure the first alignment was correct though.

What I noticed was how quick and sensitive the steering was after the steering box was installed. I didn't want to make the same mistake with the upgrade on my impala..

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
He did get an alignment after the upgrade. Could be checked again to ensure the first alignment was correct though.

What I noticed was how quick and sensitive the steering was after the steering box was installed. I didn't want to make the same mistake with the upgrade on my impala..

I just bought a 63 Pontiac Parisienne (Cdn Pontiacs are Chevy meachanicals 100%) and it has a 605 conversion. The steering is also very quick and sensitive, especially on turns at highway speed, and someone suggested a camber adjustment. I added new shocks all around, smaller width front tires, and it improved about 20%, but still too quick and "twitchy/darty", so I'll try the camber next.

My 62 has manual steering, my 59 had the stock power steering, neither had that "twitchy/darty" feeling, much smoother and more stable.

Don