Power Steering Design 348

cowsaredelicious

Just wanted to bitch about the people who designed the bracket and location of the power steering pump. I can't seem to find a good way to reliably keep belt tight and person who decided "lets put this in the most inconvenient place possible" should be slapped.

I'm not a purest and I don't really care about originality, I want it to work. Does anyone know of a way to rectify this? New parts, Mod's, a hammer and a trash can??

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I have 3 factory 62's with factory power steering, never had a problem keeping the belts tight over the last 15 years (2 small block cars and one 409 that has similar pump mounting brackets). All three where completely rebuilt and 2 of them where not factory power steering cars and that I added all the correct original PS brackets (no repro power steering mounting parts). I never remember problems PS belts with my 62 to 64 power steering cars having owned at least 15 of them over the years.

To review what you have and to see what might be wrong --- I assume you are using stud on the back of the pump with a lock washer for the sliding adjustment on the back of the pump (some repro pumps do not have studs). My power steering belts run off 3 pulleys including the power steering pulley -which is the factory system. Do you have all original power steering pump mounting brackets ?(sometimes repro parts do not work -from my experience).

Paul