Power Steering Fluid

Rusty Everitt

Supporting Member 1
Is there a source for TY A transmission fluid.Original power steering is suppose to have Ty A transmision fluid but I can't find any. I hear the original set ups are less likely to leak if you use the TY A fluid. Any alternatives ???
Thanks,
Rusty

Rusty Everitt

Supporting Member 1
Cecil,
Thanks for the reply. Since posting that question I found some on sale at Fred's for a dollar a quart. My next stop was going to be NAPA.
Thanks again,
Rusty

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I was told that the F**d type F fluid is OK to run in your GM trans and power steering units.
They say it is a bit thicker and not as slick.
Adds a better shift to the GM trans.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Tranny additive.

Jim, if you want to add a friction modifier use GM Posi additive to your tranny. Bout $6.00 a bottle at the counter.

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I was told that the F**d type F fluid is OK to run in your GM trans and power steering units.
They say it is a bit thicker and not as slick.
Adds a better shift to the GM trans.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

dq,you heard right I use type F in my T-400.

Rusty Everitt

Supporting Member 1
Hey there Scott,
Don't know yet. That other stuff is all mounted up with new seals but I have'nt fired it up yet. I'm keeping my fingers crossed but I am still going to put new seals in the parts you sent just in case. How's the paint work going ?
Rusty

scotty t

Supporting Member 1
Hey there Scott,
Don't know yet. That other stuff is all mounted up with new seals but I have'nt fired it up yet. I'm keeping my fingers crossed but I am still going to put new seals in the parts you sent just in case. How's the paint work going ?
Rusty

bodyman came by today!! very productive!!:clap he swears he will get it done soon. that makes me happy:D

58impala

Well Known Member
Rusty, I had a leak problem with my '58 and after much research concluded the Napa (part # PSF9800) was what the restoration shops were using. I drained the fluid, loosened the fan belt and turned the pump by hand flushing some of the Napa fluid thru the system. Refilled and haven't had a problem since. I did replace the seal in the cylinder because it was leaking pretty bad. Do a search on this Forum for more info.

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
dq,you heard right I use type F in my T-400.

Ok then,,, but I use the high dollar Trick Shift fluid anyways,,,
I used TS in my TH350 Street Fighter trans for several years and when I pulled the trans and dropped the pan it was clean and the fluid was still fresh smelling and looked great and clear.
I have been sold on it since,,,