power steering generator vs non power

58 YEOMAN

The p/s on my wagon leaks like a sieve. Can i unbolt the pump from the generator and remove the lines, and keep it that way? I plan to upgrade to a 605 or 500 series unit. Also will be upgrading to a 140 amp alternator. But if i can clean up the engine compartment for now, i will. But will the removal of the pump effect the generator in any way? Thanks!

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
You can remove the pump and leave it off no problem. Just keep in mind that the pump drive shaft willbe sticking out unprotected and can bite you if you are working around it with the engine runnng. You could fab a cover for it , or better yet get a tach drive gearfrom a 56-61 Corvette to bolt on in place of the pump and get a cable drive tach.
I fought the leaking PS issue on my 58 wagon and after two pump rebuilds and valve rebuilds, I finally went to the correct Type A PS fluid which cleared the problem. The original Type A fluid is thicker than the current PS fluid which is like water and shoots right by the seals. Get the fluid at Napa.

58 YEOMAN

Thanks! I'll try to get the fluid first and see if the cures the leak. If not, i'll just take it off. Just wasn't sure if the pump acted as some sort of bearing support or not.

gbafus

Well Known Member
The power steering expert

Here is a link to the expert on early Chevy power steering systems:
http://www.chevyps.com/index.shtml
Steve Pratt is very knowledgeable, & could advise you on how to upgrade what you have.
I can highly recommend the CPP 500 steering box. I'm using the original style generator/pump to power it. It works just fine!

58 YEOMAN

I'm leaning towards the 500 box. I'll also be upgrading to a 140 amp alternator, so a new style pump is in my future.
After the money drain of the holidays, i hope to try to put at least $100-$200 a week towards the car, so by the time the weather gets warm, all i have to due is install all the parts!