Power steering Option

409forever

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Did the Hp 1962 409 cars have the Power steering option available or did they have limited options available
Thanks Wayne

Reactions: 327

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Others will say, but my guess is no. On my 63, at least the with 425 hp option, PS was not an available factory option as far as I know. However, my guess is, that if Bob went to Friendly Chevrolet and ordered a new Impala with the 425 hp option and said he wanted ps, Friendly could/would have ordered the parts and made it happen. The plan for my 63 is ps & ac, all with factory deep groove pulleys.
Jeff

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Interesting that is was available on both.
So with ps, did the idler not get used?
And was the idler used on 380hp apps?
Am I correct about no factory ps on 63/64 425hp apps?
Was it available on factory 400hp apps?
Jeff

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Idler was there incase power steering was not ordered and they only used the idler incase the alternator belt blew off or broke so there would be another belt spinning the all mighty water pump

409forever

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
By studying the option page the Heritage site I found the following
Option code in 62 for P/S is 324 for all cars so yes it was available that year
but also the option for A/C (option code 110 and 111)
Back in the day if a customer wanted certain options the Factory/Dealer would accommodate
also 62 was the last year for numerical option codes 63 first year to incorporate the alpha-numerical optin code system
Great Info
(now if I could only remember if my brothers car had P/S)
Does anyone know if there is a data base that can recover original ownership or buyer for a car from GM ?
I called the dealer from Colorado and when they stopped laughing they No way all records from that far back are gone

Last edited: